Warning: contains injury pics! Australian Gareth Clear crashed his bike and seconds later noticed searing heat and smoke

Warning: contains injury pics!

Landing on to an iPhone in his shorts pocket would be painful enough as it is – but then it “exploded” and caused severe burns which required emergency skin graft surgery.

Gareth Clear, 36, was cycling around Manly Dam near Bondi, Australia when he came off his bike. Seconds later after the crash Mr Clear noticed searing heat and smoke. Ouch.

The phone had burned through his shorts and taken the top two layers of skin of an iPhone 6-sized area of his upper right thigh.

>>> 14 Best mountain biking apps for iPhone and Android

Picture: Gareth Clear/Twitter

Picture: Gareth Clear/Twitter

He was taken to the Royal North Shore Hospital where he was quickly sent for skin graft surgery.

Speaking to the Australian Daily Telegraph, Mr Clear stated: ““It’s a bit random, the thing to be very specific about, the phone did hit the ground, it didn’t just spontaneously combust. It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded.

“I’m 36, I’ve had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end.”

Picture: Gareth Clear/Twitter

Picture: Gareth Clear/Twitter

Reports of “exploding” iPhones are not unheard of but this is the first instance we’ve heard where a bike crash has been a suspected cause.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone before? Leave a comment below.