What’s in the latest issue of MBR? It’s in the shops Wednesday 2 April.
INCLUDES FREE 62 PAGE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO MOUNTAIN BIKING – THE MANUAL
- Trailhead: Ministry of Defence declares war on mountain biking.
- NEW SERIES: City Limits, Swansea. We scout out all the best riding around this Welsh coastal city. Includes a free pull-out route map.
- First look: Kona Honzo. Has Kona redefined the hardcore hardtail with it’s new steel 29er?
- First look: Saracen Ariel 162. Building on its gravity credentials, Saracen now offers a 160mm version of the Ariel.
- Tested: Marzocchi 44 Micro-Switch TA fork, Superstar seatpost shim, Birzman shock pump, Thomson seat collar, Camelbak Charge pack, High Five energy drink, Blackburn Heist 6 tool, Scott Helium pants, 661 Evo softshell knee pads, Troy Lee GP jersey
- 2012 Longtermers: the gremlins are beginning to reveal themselves. Scott Scale Elite 29er, Orange Alpine 160, Specialized Safire Comp, Trek Lush, Devinci Dixon XP, Lapierre X-Flow 412, YT Industries Wicked 150 and Giant Trance X4.
- Eye candy: pliers-style multi-tools.
Soapbox: is Strava just competition for people not tough enough to race? Paul Burwell thinks it is.
- Adventure: a cabin in the wild, a roaring fire, a bottle of whisky and a few friends; Jamie Darlow reveals the pain and the pleasure of bothy biking.
- Test update: last month we raved about the BMC Trailfox TF01 Carbon, but banged our heads against the wall at the swingarm bottoming out on the seat tube. We head to Mojo Suspension to try and find a cure.
- The Quick and the Dead: 24hr racing finds an unusual home in the desert.
- Best British trail centre: Gisburn in Lancashire has one of the best gully runs in the country.
- Bike test head2head: Marin Mount Vision XM8 Vs Norco Sight 2.
- Bike test head2head: Cannondale Claymore 2 Vs Scott Genius LT20
- Grouptest/feature: the new crop of GPS watches let you compete against your mates online as well as recording where you’ve been. We test the Garmin Forerunner 110, Garmin Forerunner 910XT, Polar RCX5, Suunto X10, Motorola Motoactv and Bryton Cardio 30.
- Technique: jumping is simpler than it looks. Chris Ball unravels the mystery.
- Shop smart: stuff we thoroughly recommend from 29ers to 120mm full-suspension bikes along with helmets, shoes, waterproof trousers, knee pads and lights. Plus our bike finder passes on his latest buying tips.
- Q&A: body issues going gluten-free and races for kids
- Q&A: tech. Does hanging your bike upside down damage it? Should I upgrade to 10-speed? Plus Pedal fitting/removal tips and reusable chain links.
- Workshop: Service your Shimano SPD and flat pedals
- PLUS – Four free route maps: rides in the Peak District, Dartmoor, South Wales and the Lake District.