PDA

View Full Version : Bar & Stem Confusion

shackers
22-Dec-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi Guys

Need a bit of advice from you lot in the know. I fancy trying some wider bars and maybe a shorter stem. I'm running a 685mm bar with a 70mm stem with a 10deg. rise. Question being, can i run a 50mm stem with 0deg rise with a higher rise bar or will i have to stick to a stem with the same rise so as not to effect the handling of the bike. Basically, i'm looking to sharpen the steering a bit. By the way the bike is full suss running 140mm Pikes up front.

cheers :D

steve_sordy
22-Dec-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, but if you can get your hands in the same position by a combination of chnages to the bars and stem, then you shouild be OK.

Beware though! I shortened the stem on a bike by 20mm and the cockpit was then too cramped for comfort. I had to put it back.

Are you sure that having your bars 20mm closer won't cramp your style? Yes, you could move your saddle back a bit, but that will move your position in relation to the pedals.
Do you feel that you are reaching too far for the bars at the moment?

Get a tape measure and record where your grips are now. How high off the ground and how far from the nose of the saddle. When you make the change, move the bars around until you get as close as you can to the same measurements. You will need to take into account the wider bars. You might still choose to move the bars later for comfort, but at least you know where you are starting from.

shackers
22-Dec-2010, 07:42 PM
I was thinking that with wider bars it may cause me to lean forward more due to the extra width, therfore i may have to reverse that by shortening the stem. i think it may be wise to go for bars first to see what happens.

steve_sordy
22-Dec-2010, 08:16 PM
On another bike, I went from flat bars to low rise and could not believe the difference in control, that I got. Therefore I second your decision to chnage one thing at a time. :)

Hobo
22-Dec-2010, 08:23 PM
I think as you move your hands towards you, you'll lift yourself into a more upright position (same effect as moving the saddle forward), so adding a higher rise bar could make you feel too upright?

I don't think the extra width would make much difference to the reach. Hold your arms out in front of you in a riding position and try and imagine what happens as you alter bar width/stem reach.

Have you got another bike (maybe a mates) you could borrow a stem off to try before parting with cash?