PDA

View Full Version : ladybower ride, info please.

veralynn
10-Jun-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi, im sorting a ride for the wife and myself but i havent got a clue where to start.
Ive looked on the internet and got some directions but they look a bit sketchy to follow.
If i was to just park up somewhere nearby would i be able to just find a trak and ride, or are there places i cant ride.
Sorry but ive never ridden off a trail centre before.
Cheers Ian.
If i buy an os map will that show cycling routes.

fredmundo
10-Jun-2009, 05:11 PM
Ok, get youself the OL1 explorer, that has ladybower and hope etc...

What sort of difficulty/ distance you after? I can come up with something for you no doubt. As sure a few others can.

I'd park up anywhere round there tbh. There is a fair bit of parking on the east bank of derwent, fairholmes is the only pay and display. You can also park on the Sheffield side of the A57 (in relation to derwent). Just about all the trail are marked at junctions as to whether they are a footpath or bridal way. If it's a footpath, no cycling. Anything else is ok though.

Well worth nipping to the ladybower inn afterwards for a pint, sandwich and chips! You can also be a little cheeky and park there for when you get back from your ride... You'll not be the only one.

Sir_Queuesalot
10-Jun-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey V,

When are you thinking of going? I could do with stretching my legs if you need a guide/company...

gorehound
10-Jun-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey V,

When are you thinking of going? I could do with stretching my legs if you need a guide/company...

OR someone to torture you!!!!!!!!! :D

fredmundo
10-Jun-2009, 06:08 PM
He's trying at least one (or possibly both) of two thinks.... Trying to taunt you into riding so far that;

A) your bike suffers catastrophic failure deep in the peaks, strangely he'll be the only bike mechanic for god knows how far. Conveinient eh!?

B) you and your wife both suffer catastrophic failure leaving him free to pick the still reusable bits for his supplies...

veralynn
10-Jun-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey V,

I appreciate the offer Sir, but my wife is new to the game and well be taking it real steady.
I would bite your hand off if i was going on my own.
So if i park in ladybower in i can head off from there and all the traks are marked.

fredmundo
10-Jun-2009, 06:25 PM
How far you thinking of going?

A nice little loop of the reservoir is,

Up the hill through crook hill farm ;first road off to the right when heading down the east bank of derwent (after the left hand turn from the A57 signposted for fairholmes just after the concrete bridge over derwent). Bit of a climb but nothing technical, you get a breather at a few gates.
Nice cruise across the hill top untill you reach a cross roads. Straight ahead to rowlee farm (yawn, don't bother), left takes you down the hagg farm descent (woo hoo!! Great fun if not a little daunting for your wife) or right, not sure the name of the trail but it drops you back on the edge of the reservoir furthe north than you were), it's probably the route that I would take her down, a bit longer but also not a rocky...

If she find that too much just follow the trail round the reservoir it hardcore or tarmac all the way.

I'm struggling to get my wife off it, she doesn't really have that much of a sense of adventure... I'm hoping the blue at bechfa this weekend will awaken her to it more. Still any time I get to spend with her on a bike is great.

Sir_Queuesalot
10-Jun-2009, 06:34 PM
Drop me your email via PM and I'll send you a M Map screen shot of some routes around ladybower.
Or there should be some on the GPSIES, or whatever it is, on this site.

Bud
10-Jun-2009, 07:07 PM
Here's one of my favourite routes around Ladybower. Its about 12 miles and pretty well sign posted, some of the decents are quite rough mind! Route runs clockwise from Hagg Side carpark.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5760/ladybower1.jpg

Ps. Many apologies if you're not supposed to post up OS maps.

veralynn
10-Jun-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks, looks good, if i get an os map. i will be able to mark this route onto it i presume. are the dashes youve highlighted a cycle trail.

Sir_Queuesalot
10-Jun-2009, 07:49 PM
The dashes are bridleways so expect to come across lots of different types of users.

fredmundo
10-Jun-2009, 08:22 PM
It's nice route, the bit on the east side of the reservoir is what I was describing above. I've only ever done Winstone Lee Tor in the other direction, to that in the pic. I think that it's a good climb that way round, the descent is really nice like that. Although I would think that the climb would be a good descent that a less confident mtber could take on.
The last bit down to cut throat bridge it pretty tough going initially on the way up (you may want to think about the slightly easier right hand turn towards the end it really rocky, but there are not he potential drops of the other way, you hit the A57 just next to the Ladybower Inn)..... so I imagine it may be a bit daunting the other way, but hey it's on only a hundred yards or so that might be a bit tough. Frankly for theh quality ride you will have on that then it's well worth getting off and pushing if you have too.

Also If you get the laminated explorer map and use the right kind of pen you can not only mark out your route by drawing on the map, but you can also remove it too for your next jaunt.

veralynn
10-Jun-2009, 08:56 PM
Excellent, cheers fellas. Looking fwd to it now.
Im planning on going next weekend, the 20th, if you see a guy on a white orange and a girl on a brown and green cube say hello.

Bud
10-Jun-2009, 09:11 PM
Cool, enjoy the ride. The first big climb is a real sod (i always push it), but after that it's all do-able. The climb to Crookhills farm is tarmac which helps too. And as Sir_Q pointed out, the area's popular with walkers so remember to aim for them (kidding)!!

fredmundo
11-Jun-2009, 06:46 AM
If you are going the weekend after next then I'll almost definately be in the area, it's my local area. Happy to guide you round that or indeed anything else you might fancy in the area. I'm happy to go as slow as anyone else... Although guessing you'll probably be waiting for me... I'm now way near as sir Q is from what I can gather. If you'd rather go it alone that is totally cool.

veralynn
11-Jun-2009, 06:28 PM
Cheers for the offer Fred, well go it alone this time but ill deffo take you up on your offer some other time.
Ive bought the OL1 map as advised, its all part of the adventure.
Thanks again, Ian.

fredmundo
11-Jun-2009, 06:52 PM
Yup no probs... It not a bad ride. If you park where the green line hits the road that is where the ladybower inn is... Nice start finish point. If you happen to see team Cove (a green hustler and a blue stiffee (me)) ride past say hello... I will be saying hi anyway.

col
11-Jun-2009, 08:40 PM
If you want info...... You'll love it around there. I do.

fredmundo
11-Jun-2009, 08:53 PM
I know, when you have much varition in trails and sh1t on your doorstep it makes it quite tough to justify going any further to find some other stuff... that said that i'm really starting to enjoy fact that at trail centres it's all in one place, you don't find yourself doing htat much 'filler' riding...
Havig said that some of the thriller riding more than makes up for it!!

leepatrick
15-Jun-2009, 08:24 PM
This is a great little ride so well recommended. Just be warned that Sheffield has been under water this week and it's more than a bit moist out near Ladybower. You'll be fine on the west of Derwent as I've always found it drains better. However, the climb up towards Derwent edge and descent down to the Ladybower Inn is going to be really boggy! Don't let this put you off because it may well have dried out a bit by the weekend though! When you take the descent down towards the A57, make sure you turn right before you hit the road - it's easy to miss at speed. There's a great little trail which drops you at the pub rather than having to ride the road - it's marked on the OS map above though.
Most weekends you'd have seen me out and about around there... but I've got 5 days in the 7 Stanes linded up this weekend. Have a great trip and definately visit the ladybower inn. Great pub with real beer and decent food.
If you're around for more than a day, try parking up near the Fox House pub near Hathersage and exploring the roman road, blacka moor and plantation and stanage causeway. All great routes, and (with the exception of the causeway) might be more suitable for someone new to natural peaks riding.
Have a great weekend.

Lee