PDA

View Full Version : Spacers

bboy
16-Apr-2009, 09:36 AM
Sometimes when I cycle up hill the front wheel rises from the deck. I read in this months MBR that moving the spacers above the stem may reduce this. The stem on my bike seems quite long, will moving two 4mm spacers do the trick? or should I get a shorter stem?

itchy
16-Apr-2009, 10:03 AM
i used to have the same problem so i opted for a shorter stem, i didn't move the spacers tho, i used to have 110 mm stem, but now reduced to an 80 mm, it's now loads better, so much so that i haven't felt the need to move the spacers.
hope this helps (p.s if you're replacing the stem it also gives you the excuse to buy a lighter/better stem too)

worked for me!

gtxxx
16-Apr-2009, 11:14 AM
Dito itchy there. Repacing the stem does help keep the front end down on the bike but so does body position. Do you sit back in the saddle when climbing? if so try moving onto the nose of the saddle thus moving your center of gravity forward on the bike forcing more weight down through the front. If you change the stem it will alter the steering characteristics and may make it sharper and more responsive but also could feel quite twitchy for a while until you get used to it. Try body position first and then look at the stem is my advice.
GT

Ben_Saville
16-Apr-2009, 11:27 AM
What is a good stem length?
I'm always reading that they switch bikes standard 100/90 stems to much shorter ones!

Is this just a preference thing, or a performance thing?

I'm 6'4" ride a 21.5" frame which has a 100mm stem.
I find the riding position to be good, but do find the nose easy to lift on steep climbs unless my weight is very far forward.

Would I be better switching the stem?

gtxxx
16-Apr-2009, 11:43 AM
I went from 100 to 70mm on a 16.5" frame but then I'm only 5'7". I don't know if it's for me to give you advice on stem length but I noticed a great difference on my trek from the hire bike I had. Everything seems a bit tighter and more responsive in the steering and control dept. I suppose it's finding what suits your style of riding best and if you buy a stem and find it's not for you shorter stems always do well on ebay i think (due to me never really seeing any for sale that is).
GT

bboy
16-Apr-2009, 12:05 PM
Think I'll try a shorter stem, Race Face look pretty reasonable!

Ben_Saville
16-Apr-2009, 12:17 PM
Let me know how it works out for you, might give it a try myself!

itchy
16-Apr-2009, 12:19 PM
Shorter stems.......they're the way forward............always remembering it's not the length that's important!!!!!

Ben_Saville
16-Apr-2009, 12:22 PM
So I should buy a shorter stem with more Girth?

Or have we gone horribly off topic now?

itchy
16-Apr-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, it was only a matter of time! :)

Ben_Saville
16-Apr-2009, 01:23 PM
I suppose 7/8 replies is quite good before the smut kicks in....

kingcraig
16-Apr-2009, 02:52 PM
does a shorter stem make it more difficult downhill tho?

Didzy2009
16-Apr-2009, 03:48 PM
So I should buy a shorter stem with more Girth?

Or have we gone horribly off topic now?

women prefer this, so im told......long and thin is no good, again so im told :cool:

Ben_Saville
16-Apr-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm not really an expert in stem size...

Don't really have anything to compare the size of my stem to...

185nick
16-Apr-2009, 05:55 PM
I've just been thinking about this and I'm probably wrong, so someone please correct me if this is the case. Surely if you put a shorter stem on the bike (without lowering it) that will make you sit up more, thus putting more weight over the back wheel, resulting in the front wheel lifting easier? So if the front wheel is lifting on climbs already won't it make the situation worse?

rb2000
16-Apr-2009, 06:24 PM
lowering the stem lowers the bars, therefore making you lean further forward, shortening the stem brings the bars closer to your centre of gravity, therefore causing more weight on the front wheel again,
i think...

bboy
07-May-2009, 04:11 PM
Got an new Easton 70mm 20 degree stem. Removed one of the spacers.... what a difference.

Went out to Glentress on Monday and the front end never lifted on any of the climbs.