PDA

View Full Version : Ingnorant Cyclists!

KIM
21-Feb-2012, 05:01 PM
I consider myself to be very friendly, so when I'm out riding I always wave and say hello to other Cyclists I come across while I'm out, no matter what they are riding. and a good 80% of them never return the courtesy, no hello, alright, kiss me arse, no nothing. especially road bike riders. What gives??? I know some rides get into the zone etc, but come on ffs, a simple hello back and all that. Maybe it's just North Yorkshire??? :(

DISGreece
21-Feb-2012, 05:08 PM
........ :) ...

I get that with roadies too!

Tazzedx
21-Feb-2012, 05:18 PM
Yup, it's nearly always the roadies around here. It's rare to get ignored by an MTB'r but there a couple but I know who they are and if you are not part of their little group and from a particular village you get ignored, it's a snob thing with them a touch of the silver spoon with that lot!

Reckless Rat
21-Feb-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi KIM i must say i also always acknowledge other cyclists , but unlike your experiances i find most will wave or nod back . May be its just as you say they are in the zone (or just bloody ignorant ) .

Stackem Evs
21-Feb-2012, 06:54 PM
I would say if I'm on my road bike I get nods and waves from other roadies. If on my mtb they don't, I'm obviously not a real biker!!

KIM
21-Feb-2012, 07:31 PM
I would say if I'm on my road bike I get nods and waves from other roadies. If on my mtb they don't, I'm obviously not a real biker!!Like it Lol

SteveMTB
21-Feb-2012, 07:39 PM
im not exactly a roadie but i have a roadie/mtb for commuting and getting in winter miles and I dont nod to anyone mainly because im going to fast.................. On the trail I nod and shout 'alright' if they dont reply then well I did my bit :) it can get a bit annoying at busy centres like Cannock hi hi hi hi hi but for me im usually shouting 'on yer left m8' :)

Common courtesy is free and helps share happiness :)

Hobo
21-Feb-2012, 07:55 PM
I always give a nod or "howdo". Mostly friendly round here no matter which bike I'm on, hack, MTB or roadie - maybe the odd TT nutter, head down, doing 25mph up the dual carriageway might not respond but then they've probably got the blinkers on.

I have noticed it the other way around before - on the road bike and ignored by MTBers so it's not just the shaved leg brigade who can be snobs!

jonomc
22-Feb-2012, 09:12 AM
Cyclists are much more friendly in west yorkshire.

KIM
22-Feb-2012, 11:01 AM
Cyclists are much more friendly in west yorkshire.Yeh...it's the Cars/Vans/Buses & Trucks you have to watch out for Lol

ibbo
22-Feb-2012, 12:37 PM
Generally always get a response on the MTB but roadies tend not to acknowledge you if on a MTB on the road.As I try to ride as little Tarmac as possible on the MTB it's not an issue :cool:
Roadies also tend to ignore you on a road bike if you're not clad in Teamhttp://serve.mysmiley.net/adult/homoswitch.gif (http://www.celebrityfashionarchive.com) Lycrahttp://serve.mysmiley.net/rolleye/rolleye.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Stackem Evs
22-Feb-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeh...it's the Cars/Vans/Buses & Trucks you have to watch out for Lol

I always give them a nod or wave if they wave me through or give me plenty of space. Not many do so you need to keep them on our side.

Reckless Rat
22-Feb-2012, 04:10 PM
With you on that one mate !

JonathanL
23-Feb-2012, 12:41 PM
I always say hello or wave, and almost everybody gesticulates back. That's what they're like in North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire - great at gesticulating.

DaMilkyBarKid
23-Feb-2012, 02:18 PM
At trail centres away from the weekend traffic and out in the sticks, I find most bikers friendly. It's when on the commute or trying to communicate with roadies I find I have problems getting any reaction whatsoever :mad: Even when I used to ride a road bike, the 'team kit' riders refused to talk to me!!

Did pull up to a set of lights one morning next to a rather pretty young lady (called Chloe) a few years ago, got talking while the light was red (yes, I stopped, always do!), pulled off only to meet again at the next set of lights. Roadie rode through, nearly getting knocked over by a car. I muttered under my breath 'bloody idiot', she handed me her phone number!! First friendly cyclist she'd met in two weeks of starting, apparently. Pity she was a bit boring after the first date mind.
Just proves we should all be friendly with each other, never know what you might find :o

MuppetAlex
23-Feb-2012, 10:23 PM
It's a roadie thing. They are famed for it. One of the guys that I ride with is a former Cat1 roadie who saw the light. The roadies will not return the nod unless they know your race rep. As a result, since he had been out of the game for a while, he noted that people didn't nod anymore, especially since he switched to nobblies. In short, they are up themselves. Don't lose sleep over them.

Luck