MBR contents: March 2012
Posted 472 days ago
What’s in the latest issue of MBR?
- Trailhead: 61 stolen bikes recovered by Hampshire Police and a major theft ring broken up.
- First Look: Tomac Automatic £1,499 (frame only)
- Tested: NiteRider Pro 1500 LED Race lights, WTB Volt SLT-Ti saddle, Mavic Plasma helmet, Azonic Terrain gloves, Lezyne Alloy Dirt Floor Drive track pump, Giro Carbide shoes, Giro Merino winter sock, Karcher K2 14 pressure washer, Nukeproof Critical kneepads and Birzman E-Version minitool.
- 2012 Longtermers: First impressions, count ‘em; all eight. Scott Scale Elite 29er, Orange Alpine 160, Specialized Safire Comp, Trek Lush, Devinci Dixon XP, Lapierre X-Flow 412, YT Industries Wicked 150 and Giant Trance X4.
- Eye candy: Merino undercrackers.
- Soapbox: don’t put off until tomorrow what can be ridden today.
- Killer Loop Finale: 2011′s successful Killer Loop treasure hunters all convened in Cannock Chase last month for their final challenge. One of them walked away with a Cannondale Rize 120 and a holiday with Saddle Skeddadle. Someone else limped away with a hole in his lip and gash in his waterproof.
- Molini: spellbinding trails in a part of Italy infamous for witchcraft.
- Old vs New: 2011 Lapierre Zesty goes up against its nemesis – the 2012 Lapierre Zesty. Jamie Darlow referees.
- Community Matters: we find proof that councils are not all about tax and cuts at Lee Quarry in Lancashire. A two-day council-backed event aimed to improve technique and technical savvy.
- Best British trail centre: drizzle in brizzle at the new Ashton Court singletrack.
- Bike test: 120mm travel rippers. Last year two of these bikes made it into our bike of the year shortlist, so expectations were high. Specialized Camber Expert (£2,000), Trek Fuel EX7 (£2,000), Giant Trance X2 (£1,999), Ghost AMR 5900 (£1,999).
- Grouptest: long-sleeve jerseys. Ten trail sweaters from Altura, Bontrager, Scott, Endura, Intrepid, Mavic, Oakley, Polaris, Sombrio and Vangard.
- Technique: essential 29er skills.
- Shop smart: recommended kit including 29ers, both hard and soft, knee/shins, helmets, wheels, shorts and gloves. Plus our bike finder passes on his latest buying tips.
- Q&A: body issues including arm pump and knee problems
- Q&A: tech tips including an explanation for the numbers on the 15mm QR dropouts found on Fox forks.
- Workshop: fitting a bashguard
- PLUS – Four free route maps: rides in Wiltshire, Lake District, North York Moors and Shropshire.
+ Includes a FREE skills and technique guide: