Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fineshade Woods

Hybrid View

Fineshade Woods

Went for a blat around Fineshade Woods the other night, great work done on the trails there. However, they have just opened up a visitor centre and a bike hire place. There is a 5 mile family track and also some red routes, especially on the other side of the A43.

Not as big as Cannock, but a viable local track for the midlands.

Luck
    Sometimes I swear I can hear the Norns laughing

Rides - SCUD Misile (Seldom cleaned used dialy)
    AKA a Giant XTC 4 with some mods.

Raleigh Royal 10 speed (Use occasionally as it has a rack)

Giant Anthem X2

Giant Defy 1 (Blue)

Yes, OK, I may have sold my sole to Giant, but it was worth it.

Re: Fineshade Woods

Went for a blat around Fineshade Woods the other night, great work done on the trails there. However, they have just opened up a visitor centre and a bike hire place. There is a 5 mile family track and also some red routes, especially on the other side of the A43.

Not as big as Cannock, but a viable local track for the midlands.

Luck
    I agree that Finshade woods has a good visitor place (bike shop, bike hire, cafe, toilets, kids play area, parking.....)

I've done the 4.3 mile red trail in Wakerley Woods (other side of the A43, about a mile from the Fineshade centre). I had a look for cycle tracks in Fineshade and all I found was the family trail. Is there any other trail at Fineshade apart from that?
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

Went on saturday. Did the red route in Wakerley Woods. Not very free flowing. I feel that they could of made some sections more rewarding. Sections 10-12 are incomplete and therefore missing.

Rutland cycles store which is there is well equiped and the guy in there told us they're changing to an orange pro centre so will have a range of oranges to test/hire and buy.

.....Rutland cycles store which is there is well equiped and the guy in there told us they're changing to an orange pro centre so will have a range of oranges to test/hire and buy.
    This means that they will be getting rid of all their other bikes, principally the Kona Cadabra and Abracadabra. These will be the latest models, with magic links. There will be some cracking deals, look out for 40% off.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

look out for 40% off.
    Fantastic, except that I won't be able to afford the other 60%

Fineshade is the family ride side of things, but it has the visitor centre and the bike shop. There is a red route, as stated, at Wakeley woods, just over the A43 (with car parks). However, you don't have to stick to the tracks as such, since there are some other nice rides around the woods. However, if you move out of wakeley and head towards bulwick, you come accross the quarry section, which was last years FNSS course, complete with killer hill. However, once out of the airfield you can also ride this years course at Bulwick.

OK, so overall, as a trail centre it is not as good as Cannock or Wales, but it is still a good local woods for us East Mids riders to have a blat around and it is encouraging that the forestry commision is making the efforts on for cyclists (Recent change in manager has led to this investment in a serious attempt to make visitor money out of the woodlands.

Also, with the Rutland cycles franchise at work it promises to have a viable bike shop, north of Corby. It is not going to compete with Pitsord, since they do not have the room to carry as much stock as Jeff, but even so, if you want a nice afternoons hack, Wakeley. If you want somewhere to take the family for a ride - Fineshade. They even have a blue run for the kids to play on.

So overall, it looks promising.

Luck
    Sometimes I swear I can hear the Norns laughing

Rides - SCUD Misile (Seldom cleaned used dialy)
    AKA a Giant XTC 4 with some mods.

Raleigh Royal 10 speed (Use occasionally as it has a rack)

Giant Anthem X2

Giant Defy 1 (Blue)

Yes, OK, I may have sold my sole to Giant, but it was worth it.

Fecking spam sh17e is what that is!! Generate many hits off here? Doubt it, now kindly go away!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.

--H.G. Wells

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...yG40/photo.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...40/photo-6.jpg

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://sha...10728-1556.kml

I rode up to Fineshade from Peterborough last week, the link is the route I took from the A15 bike crossing at Hampton Vale through to where I entered Fineshade.

It's 14.3 miles and doesn't take in any busy roads, although I think I'll drive up next time

There is a footpath from Elton to Woodnewton that would make it more direct and probably more fun but obviously we're not allowed to ride footpaths!

Hi Everyone
    I have started using Fineshade over the last few months and it works well for me only being 10 mins away, just started a page on the facility if anyone is interested? http://www.fineshade-mountain-bikers.co.uk/