Thread: Builth Wells MTB Marathon 5-6 Jul 08

Builth Wells MTB Marathon 5-6 Jul 08

Some things just make no sense at all...

A week ago I was happy peddling around on my 1994 hardtail, not a care in the world...

I'm now 2 days away from getting some nasty must-leave-work-early bug (thanks for the tip GREEN EYE)so that I can go and collect my new Specialized steed. Sounds good...

Now I've gone and entered myself in the Builth Wells 50km event! What was I thinking...

My ultra comfy, 10 year old, cycling shorts (that, to be fair, were probably due for an upgrade soon anyway) and 1992 purple 'XTR' cycling top are nowhere to be found...

I had a look at some of the tops in my LBS, but one was priced at 137 notes!

Halfords did me a better deal on what I recon is more my thing... The only problem is that the padding in the shorts makes me walk like John Wayne.

Anyhoo...If anyone happens to be at this event then pop over for a chat. I will be the bloke with the SHINEYEST bike there...and will, of course, be walking like a cowboy.

The whole ethos of these events (going by what I have read on their website) appears to be a mixture of having fun over an entire weekend, coupled with personal achievement. It's got nothing to do with coming first. Hence why I will be there...

Enjoy
    Glasdrum

my other bike's had thumbshifters

Re: Builth Wells MTB Marathon 5-6 Jul 08

lol, you should be looking forward to the event glasdrum.
    new bike new clothes and a new course, mint. i hope a hair cut is on the cards to.

try washing the shorts, that sometimes softens the padding and feels less like an huge full nappy.

Good tip G..I'll get too it... Still waiting on the call from the LBS telling me that new steed has arrived... Need to think of name for her (I hope it's a her, or this could get really awkward!)

I've been impatiently dancing round like a kid and talking bikes (to those who really don't care) all day...

About to dig out the tent and roll mat as I hear that camping the night before is the way forward... It'll be like the Glastonbury of bikes... I recon I need valium...
    Glasdrum

well let us know the minute you get it.

i had my sons bike ordered from evans, they said it would be there thursday, i rang friday and they said its not there yet, i rang the following wednesday and they said yes, its been there since last thursday. tut tut.

i hope your hounding the hell out of them mind.

Kylie (the bike) was so shiny when I rode her out of the shop...

6 unpleasant hours in and around the Builth Wells area later and she is all muddy and could really be anything. Utterly gutted at the state of her.

But the girl done good, and after a wee bit of a clean up she is restored to her former glory (almost).

The course seemed to be 50km's of mud and uphill. I recon I might train for the next one (like there will be another one).

But the atmosphere was brilliant and everyone was keen to chat.

Exactly what biking should be about. The 'stop and help' attitude made it all worth while (and the good pasta and the saturday night pasta party).
    Glasdrum

The happy crew...before the race!

More suspension than you can shake a stick at. Thermal underwear might have been more useful!
    Glasdrum