Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swinley Forest

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    Cheers, glad you had a good time. As you can tell from the vid, my skills weren't all that but afterwards, I had definitely realised what I needed to learn to be haalf decent. Places like that are great for learning what sort of biker you want to be. Bedgebury is great too, you should try it if you get round that far. The only downer is the 12 parking fee

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey-rider View Post
    Cheers, glad you had a good time. As you can tell from the vid, my skills weren't all that but afterwards, I had definitely realised what I needed to learn to be haalf decent. Places like that are great for learning what sort of biker you want to be. Bedgebury is great too, you should try it if you get round that far. The only downer is the 12 parking fee
    Yeah it was really good and to be fair i think im probably about level with you skill wise.

It was great to be challenged and it certainly gave me some food for thought, next time i go i think ill attack some of the jumps a bit more as i want to get more confident in the air. It was a great day and had the legs not given up at the end i would have rested and gone around again. but i think i made the right decision to stop an go home.
    I think it will definitely help me improve on my local trails.

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    Yeah you may find yourself trying to kick off roots etc to get air. I'm cack in the air, not really a fan, but small jumps are a nice way to break up a long straight. I prefer riding drop offs, I can only do a couple of feet at the mo but enjoy the feeling of riding off an edge and getting both wheels down at the same time.

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    Yeah i'm exactly the same in the air to be honest, one of those things i wish i was good at but im just not, but im getting there, drop offs are my other nemesis, i am now comfortable doing a few feet, there is the section at swinley with 2 in quick succesion and i managed both of those relatively easily.

Im getting more confident in the air, but im starting slow and building myself up. I can bunny hop and kick myself off of routes and stuff fairly easily, but with everything its practice makes perfect, along with fitness which always needs improving.

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    Yeah I know what you mean. I didn't see the double drop off bit but may well have bottled that if I had lol. I can do English bunny hops but the American ones are harder and need more energy, which I just don't have after a climb or long run. Manuals and proper wheelies are also a bug bear. I can do them enough to get over bits or avoid front wheel going into boggy bits or down dips but nothing amazing.

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    The double drop down bit is after a bit of a climb, there only two small drop offs of about 2/3 feet each, or at least thats what they felt like. It was near a big sing saying "New Trail Feature"

I can't do manuals or wheelies at the moment, i can lift my front wheel but i cant keep it in the air for any decent length of time.

I didnt know there were different types of bunny hop?? All this MTB lingo is confusing. Im a bit annoyed at myself that i didnt session the jumps a bit more or the drop downs, but im eager to go back.

If you ever fancy a meet up sometime let me know.

Two types of "bunny hop". The pretend one where you jump and lift both wheels at the same time and the proper one where you manual then lift the rear wheel while the front is still in the air.

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    I have always lifted the front wheel first followed by the rear. I'm not sure id even be able to lift both wheels at the same time.

Knee and Elbow Scraper
    I can do the English but not the one started by a manual. Not really needed it with my riding style though so I don't miss it.

I don't get much chance to go places like swinley (been once in a year) but next time im going that way I will put a shout out here.