Thread: rear shock replacement

rear shock replacement

hi folks.
    my rear shock is a rockshox monarch 3.1.it sometimes loses its air, which apparently is a common problem with these.im looking at replacing it,so how critical is it that the replacement is EXACTLY the same length and stroke size. it seems to be 185mm x 45mm.which is a difficult size to find.a more common size is 190mm x 50mm
    cheers.....glynn

Dont know about replacments but this is common on all rear shocks, if grit gets in the seal it scratches the coated outer, this happened on a fox one I had, what's the damage to get it serviced & fixed from TFT or Mojo?

TFTuned should do it for less than the price of a new shock.
    If you really want a new shock, then depending on the frame its put in, the exact dimensions may not be that important as long as its close... or it could be critical. It depends how much clearance the frame has throughout the stroke between linkages etc. You could also try offset mounting hardware for the shock, this will make a longer i2i shock have closer to the same effective i2i in the frame, but the travel of the frame will be increased by the longer stroke.
    Pace RC506
    DMR Switchback hack and c2c bike.

The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well. ~Ivan Illich, Energy and Equity, 1974

Full shock service on an RP23 was 101 from Mojo a couple of weeks ago. They are busy at the mo, so allow more than a week.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

Also, if there is damage to your shaft, I beleive it can take longer.

Pace RC506
    DMR Switchback hack and c2c bike.

The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well. ~Ivan Illich, Energy and Equity, 1974

ok cheers.............strange thing is it can a go a couple of months working fine then lose air suddenly.