Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noobie - buying first bike (again)

Noobie - buying first bike (again)

Hi All,

Looking at buying a mountain bike, but have limitations:

Firstly, I am stuck to a budget of 499
    Secondly, it must be from Haldords, I know that a lot of you will stop reading now, but any advise would be welcome.

I used to ride loads when i was 15 - 19, i was extremely fit, played 3 sports at decent level and biking was what i did when i wasn't training. Roll the clock forwards a bit and i'm 30, not fit and recently resurrected my football career, which has resulted in a broken leg after 6 games. Not to be put off, season starts again in September and have decided that i want to start riding again too. It will be 80% on road and 20% fun (not extreme, but something a little more interesting).

The Bikes are:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...7CPrice%7C%7C0

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Page=true&msg=

Due to the price and the fact that they are from Halfords, i am guessing that there's all that much difference, but if anyone can have a look over spec and give me a pointer that would be brilliant. I have not ridden any of these due to my leg and one is online only.

Thanks in advance for any help given, I await your advice.

I'd take the hoodoo, it's a good bike for the money apparently. Heard good things about it, but give it a thorough check over after you get your hands on it, it's from Halfords after all! And if you see any problems fix it yourself, don't take it back whatever you do!

Oh and WTTF.

Wttf.

+1 for the voodoo. Anoter hellfrauds bike worth a look is th e Carrera Fury. It's also a good idea to buy the bike from hellfrauds and take it to a real bike shop and get them to assemble it, this should only cost you about 20 ( bribery with cakes and/or biscuits will help).
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoodoo is a top bike!
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Make sure you allow enough in your budget for gear but, at the VERY least; a lid.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

Thanks for the feedback and please add more if you think it adds value.

I was thinking the Voodoo, but struggled to find any reviews, whereas the Kraken was rated as good. Not as good as the Fury, but in general it was rates ok.

Perhaps I should explain a little more; i have to buy Halfords because of a bike to work scheme through my employer and they stipulate it is Halfords unfortunately. The top value is of the voucher I have, a lid (am I in yet?) lock, bike rack and bar ends (does anyone use these anymore - no bikes come with them) will be purchased separately. To be honest i'll probably be on here again asking about locks and carriers, any tips?

Is there any point discussing air or hydraulic forks? They both lockout which is essential for me.

Thanks again guys.

Also there are other shops that use the halfords scheme... The bike tree in Sheffield has a sticker on the door indicating that they are part of it.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

WTTF fella. The Hoodoo is a pretty good bike, one or two on here have them, and providing they're checked over properly then they're ok.
    FOr locks, i'd go for a Krytonite D-Lock with cable. 40 odd but you can register it on the website and if your bike is stolen while using the lock, you can claim compensation from Krytonite.
    Shouldn't bother with bike rack, just use a nice compact backpack. Halfords have some in store which aren't too bad.
    Bar ends are essential, the last thing you want is to be perforated if you fall onto them - a round hole is hard to stitch back up!
    As Fred says, there are other shops that are part of the Cycle to Work scheme aswell.
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

Quote Originally Posted by fredmundo View Post
    Also there are other shops that use the halfords scheme... The bike tree in Sheffield has a sticker on the door indicating that they are part of it.
    Quite often people are limited to one shop.

My guys run a cycle-to-work, but ONLY from Evans. Nowhere else is allowed.

That Voodoo looks your best option.
    Hydraulic brakes, a decent enough fork for the price (the fork is always the weakest option on bikes in your price range), well considered frame, Shimano gearing.

Go for it, you'll love it.

Just get someone else to check it over as soon as you leave the shop!

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"