Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheels, Wheels and Wheels......

Quote Originally Posted by gorehound View Post
    AKA fat fucker.
    I wonder how many of us fall into this category? I know that I couldn't button up my shorts on yesterday's ride
    Apparently I 've started a diet today!
    Salmon and salad........
    (followed by ice cream and caramel shortcake)

Perhaps we should form a FF Forum Riders Club.... or is that the unofficial name for the camping weekends? :P
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Was looking at UST aswell, only a small difference in price about a tenner and i can go for the Mavic EX823 UST.

I will just run this non tubeless with my high roller untill that needs replacing. Seems like a very strong rim, hoping superstar can build it well! Thoughts?

sounds good to me...
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Good choice, I have the switch evo hub with a mavic XM819 UST as my front wheel. I opted for the 9mm thru axle rather than the 9mm QR and can recommend that - compatible with standard dropouts. (rear is 10mm but the same theory). I hear that SS make wheels well but I did mine myself so can't vouch.

Only downside I can see with UST is that the tyres cost quite a lot more, but then you don't have to run tubeless on a tubeless rim if you need to buy cheaper in the future.

dont knock second hand either

http://www.themountainbikeking.com/2...46_985089.aspx

Some nice hope sets there but 20mm but worth checking and I have bought from them and had 100% genuine experience

Also look at pinkbike but very easily ripped off I have been twice but got my money back easy

You wont go wrong with a new superstar set either they make some cracking stuff
    Everytime you dont go out and ride GOD kills a kitten

............. O.............. /^^\
    ............. /\,........... /^ ^^\
    .............-\ -........ /^^^^ /^^\ ^\
    ............. /(*) /^^^ /^^ ^ ^^
    ......... (*) /^^^^ /^^^ ^^^^^
    ..........^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishLion View Post
    Good choice, I have the switch evo hub with a mavic XM819 UST as my front wheel. I opted for the 9mm thru axle rather than the 9mm QR and can recommend that - compatible with standard dropouts. (rear is 10mm but the same theory). I hear that SS make wheels well but I did mine myself so can't vouch.

Only downside I can see with UST is that the tyres cost quite a lot more, but then you don't have to run tubeless on a tubeless rim if you need to buy cheaper in the future.
    Now then what's this thru axle malarky you talk of? My trek has the ABP thing on the rear drop out. A standard QR keebab stick will only fit it. Would run my non tubeless high roller untill it needs replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMTB View Post
    dont knock second hand either

http://www.themountainbikeking.com/2...46_985089.aspx

Some nice hope sets there but 20mm but worth checking and I have bought from them and had 100% genuine experience

Also look at pinkbike but very easily ripped off I have been twice but got my money back easy

You wont go wrong with a new superstar set either they make some cracking stuff
    Will have a look Steve, would prefer brand new as SS give two year cover and peace of mind. Will have a look at the link now.

Ordered From SS today, Evo Switch Hub laced with the double butted race spokes to the Mavic EX823 UST rim. Probably heavier than my current one but the strength should be loads better!

sounds nice... although those rims will take more punishment than you frame will!
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

2nd that, got EX823s on the hard tail and they've taken a real beating with plenty of tyre bottoming rock strikes and clumsy lines (usually when I've forgotten that I'm not on the FS ) So far they've shrugged off everything I've thrown at them. A bit on the porky side but in a reassuring way

Quote Originally Posted by fredmundo View Post
    sounds nice... although those rims will take more punishment than you frame will!
    Need it to last longer than the bike. Will be keeping this wheel build for my next bike so i'm hoping it will last!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    2nd that, got EX823s on the hard tail and they've taken a real beating with plenty of tyre bottoming rock strikes and clumsy lines (usually when I've forgotten that I'm not on the FS ) So far they've shrugged off everything I've thrown at them. A bit on the porky side but in a reassuring way
    Reassuring to know man!