Thread: Sherwood Pines

Sherwood Pines

Hi,
    has anybody been there lately, just wondered wether it gets really muddy there, as have next week off work so was going for a blast round ( at 54 it won't be a fast blast more of amble).
    Don't be afraid of no Ghosts !

It used to get very muddy, i think though that the last year or so the trail has definitely been armoured more and the worst bits have been reworked.
    Steve Sordy will likely be the one to know the current conditions best... I'm sure he'll be along pretty soon.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

I was there on Sat 28th April and I'll be there again tomorrow Wed 2nd May. On Sat I was there with DaMilkyBarKid and there was some mud on the red trail, but mostly standing water. There was the occasional lake (OK, a big puddle), but nothing to worry about, and certainly better than the previous Monday, when I found a family of ducks in one puddle.

We also did the new XC route left over from the National Cycling Championships the previous month. That was not designed for longevity and is not being maintained, so its not in as good condition as the red. There were one or two tricky muddy bits. Our rear wheels would suddenly skid off to the side, but they didn't have us off. I have ridden a lot worse.

There has been a lot of rain since Sat, so Pines may have got worse. I'm going on Wed because the weather forecast is very good. I'll just strap on the mudguards!

The forecast is not brilliant for Pines next week: http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Mansfield-NG21
    But I have discovered that unless its heavy rain, then because you are mostly in the forest, its pretty much ok. I don't bother with waterproofs, they are just too hot. I prefer windproofs with a good DWR coating as they are much more breathable. After a few hours I might get damp, but not wet.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame and fork left of the original bike)

It was a steve_sordy said on Saturday, the mud made it a bit more of a challenge! Perfectly acceptable riding conditions, plus splashing through muddy puddles is always fun!!
    "Mountain Biking is life... everything before and after is just waiting."

Steve McQueen. Sort of...

Today (Wed), Pines was a delight! Fantastic weather, warm and sunny. The trail was a bit odd. Despoite all the rain we've had, the trauil was dusty in parts, but with some big puddles. Some mud, but nothing to worry about. Even the muddy bit on the Red about a mile in is easily passable and drying up rapidly. I went twice round the Red today and it didn't take long to clean the bike.
    # Norco Sight 1

Quote Originally Posted by steve_sordy View Post
    Today (Wed), Pines was a delight! Fantastic weather, warm and sunny. The trail was a bit odd. Despoite all the rain we've had, the trauil was dusty in parts, but with some big puddles. Some mud, but nothing to worry about. Even the muddy bit on the Red about a mile in is easily passable and drying up rapidly. I went twice round the Red today and it didn't take long to clean the bike.
    Did you have a bottle of Wine when you finished?? ;D

I shared a bottle with the mrs at mealtime, and then some time after 9:00pm I had a couple of cans of John Smiths! Lovely day!
    # Norco Sight 1