Thread: Is it me or the shoes?

Is it me or the shoes?

Right, recently swapped to SPD shoes (shimano cleats/oedals) but didnt get on with the and swapped back, but with 2 rides with flats and 5tens and I have slipped the pedal twice! is this just bad luck, a style of riding from cleats that has carried over somehow, or have I worn out the 10 month old 5ten freeriders, they still seem solid and apart from visual wear and tear are going strong, but I did washing machine them, so would that have killed the sole?

Cheers Monte
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

I can't see how machine washing them would of affected the sole that much unless you used a really strong detergent fella.
    Quite possibly i'd say it is you riding style has changed from using SPD's and you're used to having that "fixed" feeling with SPD's. Also to look at would be the flats you're using. Are the knobs worn down alot? Has the tread fromt he 5-10's worn so much they don't grip?
    I know you do alot of riding so it could be any combination of things.
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

Never slipped with mine(well not much) no matter how worn both pins and soles are, must be down to subcontious way of doing things, probably won't take too long getting back into that style, it's like riding a bike don't you know

Sorry about the joke I feel shamefull making it.

Just remeber to persuade rather than force the bike to do what you want it to.

Cheers guys, both rides were in super muddy conditions, and I was pretty tired for both so I'd imagine that's why, it's probably my fault not the shoes! need to ride some more DH to get back into the flat pedals spirit I think!

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

I've only ever slipped with 5:10's once and that was because the bike jumped onto the granny ring as I went to pedal, bloody hurt. It's probably a case of getting used to it again. I should imagine that if you used both enough then you'd get to the stage where you'd have one style of riding that suited both types of pedal. Maybe. That could be bollocks.

It's you.

MTFU.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

When I first swapped from spuds to flats/fivetens, I collected a large number of pedal strikes down the shins and calves. Some of the scars will stay with me forever.

I agree with previous posts that your pedalling style has to change slightly do that your shoes don't lose contact. Even though my pedal pins are now blunter, my shoes still grip them extremely well.

The large dot pattern on the sole has become more than a bit tatty and is looking mangled in places, but they still grip. In my opinion, the tread pattern on the shoe is either cosmetic or maybe for when you are walking about, as I don't believe it makes the slightest bit of difference when standing on the pedal pins.

Stay with the flats/fivetens combination.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

Sweet thanks guys, sticking with 5tens and V12s for defo, until I can afford Vaults! :L

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

Quote Originally Posted by reevil View Post
    It's you.

MTFU.
    Haha, love it.