Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano AM45's with flat pedals?

Why does everyone automatically think because someone rides on spuds they don't know how to ride a bike?

I know all about "dropping your heels" lion.

After about 32 years of using spuds and before them toeclips and about 3 months of using flats I think I will be sticking to spuds for anything gnarly ( I prefer my feet on the pedals when the going gets rough, you have more control over the bike that way).
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duuno about AM45s but I have AM41s and they grip like Shit to a blanket.I've used spuds for years and tried to go back to flats a couple of times(out of curiosity) but had issues.I've always been a bit sceptical about the whole "good pedals and shoes make all the difference" line and didn't wish to spend 90 on Fivetens so bought the AM41s and some Wellgo B54s and I am now eating humble-pie.
    I've tried my MTB shoes(minus cleats) and walking trainers on the same pedals and the grip was shite.When the AM41s are shot I'm getting a pair of Fivetens

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo View Post
    Duuno about AM45s but I have AM41s and they grip like Shit to a blanket.I've used spuds for years and tried to go back to flats a couple of times(out of curiosity) but had issues.I've always been a bit sceptical about the whole "good pedals and shoes make all the difference" line and didn't wish to spend 90 on Fivetens so bought the AM41s and some Wellgo B54s and I am now eating humble-pie.
    I've tried my MTB shoes(minus cleats) and walking trainers on the same pedals and the grip was shite.When the AM41s are shot I'm getting a pair of Fivetens
    case rested

One day your life will flash before your eyes.

Make sure it's worth watching!!

So.....right then, whats a decent flat pedal that isnt costing the earth???

Quote Originally Posted by Predazord View Post
    So.....right then, whats a decent flat pedal that isnt costing the earth???
    Wellgo DMR Copies (actually the same if you believe what they say about Wellgo making DMR's)
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    case rested
    Ditto......

Don't forget the 5.10's 63 seems to the cheapest today, no idea how the Freerider ones stack up next to the Impact and Karvers.

Edit: the bsic ones are 47 :-----> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=42773

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/B...FQMPfAodnTpkbQ
    Last edited by MTBLeague; 20-Apr-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Freeriders are great, mine look a tad ragged on the sole after almost a years DH'ing, including several machine washes, grip is phenomenal, amazing shoes! About as waterproof as a sponge though!
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Freeriders are great, mine look a tad ragged on the sole after almost a years DH'ing, including several machine washes, grip is phenomenal, amazing shoes! About as waterproof as a sponge though!
    The old impacts were like that, not good in Scotland in the winter even with sealskins on, so went for the Karvers, they have been not bad, takes a seriously large amount of puddle splashing to get the wet to start seeping in, most of the outside is plastic exept the padding, that bit just drinks the puddles up.

I've used flat pedals and Vans waffle soles since the early 80's for BMX racing. Didn't see the need to change for MTB, so I didn't for ages. I had some old Adidas superstars that I used last season and they were just as good for grip, but more waterproof. So when I saw a pair of Donnay copies for 9 recently, I bought them for winter use so I could trash them and keep the Adidas for summer. The soles on the copies are much softer and grippier though. So I went out and got 3more pairs to keep me stocked up for a while. I very rarely take my feet off the pedals, but I do move them around a lot when riding. So SPD's made my feet go numb. And I never found they offered any more control, so I gave my shoes and pedals to a friend.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk