Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single track in the South East

Re: Single track in the South East

There is a Bedgebury bike club http://www.boarsonbikes.co.uk/
    but the web site isn't updated very regulary.
    I'm still surprised that we've not got a big/good trail centre in the S/E. Bedgebury is quite good but I couldn't do it every weekend (although I'm going this weekend!), Penshurst is small (if it's still going?) and Deers leap needs
    developing a bit. The rest of the bridleways around mid sussex are disjointed and are difficult to set up a decent/interesting loop. Pity really.
    pwn3rer,yea there's a few of us about down here.How's the trails round Lewes way? nice and boggy?

lol... yeah, getting very muddy nowadays. I'm actually from Chailey, but near enough to Lewes. Deers leap needs lots of work, you are right on that one. PORC, I haven't been to, and bedgebury I still havent been to yet either.

SDW is pretty good, but I always seem to go up in the same place and it gets very boring. Also, I see lots of bridleways, and I think, ooh, I'll go for a ride there, but I ALWAYS, without doubt, come from the bottom of the hill (the wrong end), and have to ride uphill! That's all it is around here.... uphill!

Anyway, yeah, we need a good singletrack place in the south south, quite near the coast, with lots of variation. One just down the road would do me!

Lots have joined from round here recently actually, you're right. I got a PM from someone asking for good places to ride - he was also from Haywards Heath. Ashdown forst is good for singletrack, but, I believe biking is not allowed?

Yep no riding allowed in Ashdown forest. Horse's can use it but I believe they have to buy a permit.I did read somewhere that there was a protest a while back were a group of riders walked their bike around the bridleways, not sure of the outcome though. You should make a trip to Bedgebury, from the point that there's no traffic and you shouldn't bump into horses or walkers on the single track sections (oh yea the cake shop at the visiters centre!).The shore area is fun if your brave enough too (I'm not very brave on it!).

Captdino, do you go to bedgebury during the week or weekends? Have you riden it in the dark, I'd imagine that'll be fun!

hey Ian, i do both really, mostly during the week though, i do a lot of work over tonbridge wells way, so it's always a good excuse to put the bike on the car and have a little pit stop lol, ive not tackled the freestyle area a great deal just mainly stick to the singletrack section. Just got back from there, and it looks like there doing more improvements to it. There making big gate entries from the family track to the singletrack to make it a lot easier to see wich way to follow the singletrack its looking good. I was speaking to one of the chaps who works there and he reckons its gonna have a new makeover for nextyear. Something else to look forward to ;O)

As for riding it in that dark, that would be awsome fun but alas have never done it.

(in the fear i'd properly fall off more often then now lol)

Nice to hear they're doing improvements. I'll have a look tomorrow morning (hopefully before the thunder storms sweep in).

North Downs near Dorking is the place to go. My preference would be Holmbury Hill, some great singletrack. Trail maps and advice available from Nirvana cycles in Westcott.

We ride surrey hills, friston, brighton, houghton and several others all on singletrack. You can even look at the pictures or join us for a ride at brightonmtb.org

Derek is right Nirvana cycles have maps for sale which will show you some fantastic riding on the North Downs around Dorking. But there are is fun to be had closer to home (Goudhurst area) in the woods at Westerham, miles of trails, we go regularly and are always discovering new stuff, it does get a bit wet in the winter though (like Bedgebury). Also we ride the North Downs around Bearsted are + i often do a 25 ish mile loop from Wye to Chilham and back, not much singletrack but lots of off road where you could be miles from civilisation.
    Chitch
    Dough Boy