Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This months article about MOD land.

Rad the article now. Seems to be a problem they're cracking down on round Salisbury Plain area. Spoke to my brother-in-law's other brother-in-law (he's a serving officer) and they're having major problems with people ignoring red flags etc. The MOD get more powers to close adjacent land during times of war apparently (we're still technically at war) so this has been a problem too.
    Does seem like they're just clamping down on a problem that has become a lot worse since every man and his dog now gets out in the countryside.
    "Mountain Biking is life... everything before and after is just waiting."

Steve McQueen. Sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by xendistar View Post
    There is a public law that say that if you can prove you have used land for 25 years without the owner complaint and then the owner tries to stop, you have a legal right to carry on using that land, whether that will work on MOD land I don't know.
    The law of adverse possession etc do not apply to highways maintained at the public expense, or crown land, which this would be.

Riders and walkers have had it good doing something they shouldn't, and now the owners are knocking it on the head. It's their land, we've no moral or legal position to bitch about it. I too am an ex squaddie and would rather not have the pubic (sic) wandering about endangering us or themselves at worst, or making the exercis difficult or unrealistic at best.

We had it good, it's over, lets move on.
    Fartblood All Terrain Cycles
    Making the Stain worth the Pain since 1969

Think of it this way. Would you like it if people decided to wander round your garden.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love it - give me a chance to try out my new crossbow!

Anus of the Shires? Northants. got to be.
    Sometimes I swear I can hear the Norns laughing

Rides - SCUD Misile (Seldom cleaned used dialy)
    AKA a Giant XTC 4 with some mods.

Raleigh Royal 10 speed (Use occasionally as it has a rack)

Giant Anthem X2

Roger that! South of the county.

I can see the points raised by both sides on this one, but to hear from other area's of the country and the rules they run by it seems it all needs ironing out somewhat. To have access to certain area's is probably not so much of a problem but when it comes to red flag area's it should be a no go area, plain and simple KEEP OUT. However i think most of the national park yorkshire dales is full of live fire.

I happen to drive through the yorkshire dales and catterick all the time with work in the van and I have a massive respect for what them lads go through, to see the conditions out there its sometimes grim to say the least. I for one always let them through on the roads and let them get on with what there doing then get on my way, I know they get a bad press sometimes but i know if anything happened out on them remote roads there the ones that would actually stop and help. not many jo public would bother to stop.
    Lapierre Zesty 214 2011

Genesis Core 30 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DaMilkyBarKid View Post
    As I grew up in the Brecon Beacons, I've had to deal with the MOD re land access all my life. They've always been good round Epynt, putting up notices at the main access points, red flags when firing etc. Even happy for you to phone the main office at Dering Lines or Sennybridge to check on any training movements or rallies being held. Haven't read the article yet so will be interesting to see what experiences others have in different areas.
    Give me a shout fella, we need to get out and ride sometime. You might know me, (I used to work in the shop at Glyncorrwg. The bald version of Mickey Dolenz covered in oil. lol) Looks like you ride all the same venues I do, but at different times.
    It'd be good to meet up with you and ride sometime.

As a former Army Cadet and Rally Marshal, I'm more than aware of the resrictions and other safety measures the MOD enforce on the ranges. I've had rally spectators ignoring my instructions met with soldiers they never knew were there,pop out and remind them they were entering a live firing range. The look on their faces was priceless. It gave me a bit of a shock too, I didn't know those soldiers were camped out in the trees behind me, and I'd been there for about 5 hours.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevolution View Post
    Give me a shout fella, we need to get out and ride sometime. You might know me, (I used to work in the shop at Glyncorrwg. The bald version of Mickey Dolenz covered in oil. lol) Looks like you ride all the same venues I do, but at different times.
    It'd be good to meet up with you and ride sometime.
    I ride at all sorts of odd times, shift work and all that! As for the Beacons, I ride mainly in the east and central areas ( Talybont, Bwlch, Talgarth) as I can easily base in Crickhowell for the day. Don't get to go round Sennybridge and Epynt anywhere near as often as I used to, my mate who knew the area now lives in London and no longer rides. I hardly remember the rides, so if you want to arrange to go there some time give me a shout. Be good to have someone show me the off-piste stuff at Afan too if you're up for that, remember you saying something about it a while ago.
    "Mountain Biking is life... everything before and after is just waiting."

Steve McQueen. Sort of...

Surely this is the problem with applying a one-size fits all approach to access? I certainly have no problem with the MOD enforcing access restrictions to live ranges and areas where armoured vehicles are moving about but it's concerning that the same rules can be applied to some of the "quieter" training areas.

I also live on the edge of Hankley Common and cycle there pretty regularly but its not a live firing range and only really sees pretty low level platoon size infantary training with the odd land rover or 5t truck. In fact the only time I've been restricted on where I can go is while they've been filming the new James bond film there.