Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MBR big question May most overpriced piece of kit?

MBR big question May most overpriced piece of kit?

This month were asking what, in your opinion, is the most overpriced piece of MTB kit and what do you use instead? CRC vouchers for the best answer!

Neoprene mud guards! 14 for something you can make out of a punctured inner tube and 4 cable ties!

C02 air canisters & pumps! Man up!

Wow where to start! I feel that nearly everything is overpriced within the sport. But for me the pinnacle has to rest with lights. With some units coming in at half the price of a decent hardtail.. I opt for the cheaper chinese units. At the end of the day they do the job perfectly and you wont be crying if you come off and break them.
    Giant Trance X3, though now specced a LOT higher.
    Cotic Bfe in 'Black Grape'

My initial answer is good quality UST tyres... they are just too expensive, considering they are a vital part of a bike that need changing frequently.
    If you've done your homework (read the recommendations in the mag and/or picked the forum brains) and bought yourself a decent bike, it's a one off purchase. Most parts that wear out are not that badly priced, but tyres can be a tad too expensive.

But then again that doesn't completely answer the question as to what do we use instead....

So... other consumables such as energy bars and drinks can be expensive.

I have a supplier of sesame/sunflower seed bars made with honey. 40p a bar.
    You can also eat well bafore/after a ride.

Water should be fine as liquid, provided you have eaten well before the ride. sby once mentioned a cheap recipe for energy drink....
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

I volunteer clothing. From t-shirts, to leggings, tights, trousers waterproofs. You can pick up totally functional clothing from Aldi/Lidl/Amazon from anywhere to 1/10th to 1/100th of the cost of the more expensive items. I'm sure all these more expensive items work wonderfully well from a technical point of view, but spending unnecessary cash for something that you're basically going to sweat, bleed and get filthy in seems overkill to me. The relative R&D costs can't be that high either since the technology, and therefore cost, is spread across every sport in existence in the world. You end up paying for the brand, as per the norm with haute couture on the Paris and Milan catwalks.

Concur with Bongo above. "MTB" clothing. How any company can justify slapping an extra 100 on what is essentially a waterproof/resistant jacket is beyond me; Regardless of who's name is on it. They're all made in sweat shops overseas!
    You can pick up reasonable substitutes elsewhere for a lot less providing you can get off your backside and look.
    Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano

The magazines
    Are they really worth the money?

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Quote Originally Posted by reevil View Post
    The magazines
    Are they really worth the money?

I picked up a copy of a couple of mags while over there and left them on the plane !!!!! Could have bought 8 energy bars instead!

Clothing is also a one off item - it is the consumerables that eat into the budget!
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

One off purchases? Has to be the premium lights, no contest. China is your friend.

Consumables? Hmm.. where to start...

Cable ties (buy in bulk people!)
    Sealed gear cables eg Gore, just use the decent Shimano stuff and change every few months.
    Energy bars/drinks, just make your own.
    Fox servicing costs, learn to use a spanner.
    Chainrings, how much for a slightly lighter XTR version of what you'll get looking at lower series!!
    Expensive tech cleaners, look around and you'll find unbranded versions for peanuts.

Rant over.
    "Mountain Biking is life... everything before and after is just waiting."

Steve McQueen. Sort of...

expensive trip computers i use endomondo free app what more can you ask for...please win