Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decathlon giving me wrong advice?

Quote Originally Posted by FN21 View Post
    My issue is I want to be able to ride both red and black trails on one bike and I'm not sure what I should go for! I'm now leaning towards the HT as I won't have to worry about rear sus damage landing after a drop off, or am I backing away from the FS unnecessarily?!
    Aldo is correct about the air, infinatly adjustable spring that is.

Frame designs are pretty robust, dont know what the sales person is worrying about, trashed a few rims and wheels with my stupidity, even left a flat spot on a couple rear wheel, never even considered the suspension or mountings failing catastrophically.

Does the sales man know something that is a bit worrying about the bikes?

There are many other bikes & sales men, out there if you are worried!

Giant trance x4 for 1200 if you can stretc to it? Otherwise grab a cheap kona ht on chain reaction if they have your size!
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

I ride mini DH stuff on a hardtail. I never worry about breaking the frame, and there's some pretty bl00dy big jumps & drops.

If I'm being honest I'd say it sounds like the salesman is either :

Not confident in his product
    Trying to push you onto a bike you don't want, or need.

Either way, if it was me, I'd steer clear.

And don't worry about not getting uphill with 120mm FS. It'll be fine.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

Sounds like the salesman had a target to meet, thus encouraging you to go for the bigger bike. The fact that he's recommended a different shop to check out other options speaks volumes imho.
    Failing is not a failure as long as you have fun doing it

Quote Originally Posted by DaMilkyBarKid View Post
    Sounds like the salesman had a target to meet, thus encouraging you to go for the bigger bike. The fact that he's recommended a different shop to check out other options speaks volumes imho.
    Is that not a complete contradiction? If he had a target to meet there is no way he would recommend another shop to go look at.
    Everyone on here recomends trying as many diferent bikes as possible is he not just being honest. Doubt he would of won any favors with his store manager for doing so.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; 07-Mar-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Spesh Rockhopper

Hmm, maybe I should go to another Decathlon and compare the advice I get - there's a second store not far from me - that might be a revealing experience! Will visit some LBS's too before I commit to anything and compile a bit of a list of possibles!

MTB league - I don't think he was hiding anything as he was being pretty open about the bikes and quite frank in his advice. It's not that I don't trust him in that way, just not confident he's understood what I need.

DaMilkyBarKid - I don't think so as he wasn't in the slightest pushy, he had an opportunity to sell me a cheaper bike and didn't - when he spoke about the FR10 he seemed quite aware that I wasn't going to buy it. He said they don't even carry it in stock as hardly anyone wants them!

Monte - cheers I may start to look at what else I can get for my money as well as Decathlon, but I can't help but feel you're paying for a name, for the price no one seems able to touch the spec on Decathlon bikes.

Reevil - that's what I'm starting to think and that's why I'm maybe erring towards the 2012 version of the 8.1 due to come out soon. I'm not so worried about hills on the 9.2 as both front and rear sue locks out - it was just the FR10 that bothered me from that point of view!

Anyway guys, thanks for all your help - I feel a bit clearer in my head now and have an idea where I'm heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Giant trance x4 for 1200 if you can stretc to it? Otherwise grab a cheap kona ht on chain reaction if they have your size!
    THat's what I thought!

Go on, I'll do it then.

Have you tried Paul's Cycles. They sell brand new bikes from previous years for massive discounts.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/offers.php?cat=1

Just type in your max price, sort by highest price first, apply filters and go! You will be amazed.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

What have Canyon got in that price range?

You want unbeatable spec for price AND great reviews?

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

Great Reviews? That would be any Specialized ever featured in MBR then, they could make a bike out of cheese and they give it 10/10........