Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain will not back pedal...

Chain will not back pedal...

Hi,

After waiting until the start of chain slipping (as all components were due a change) I replaced my cassette, jockey wheels (I'll post a pic of those in that other thread, one was completely round), chain and front rings.

All good except I'm not sure if I've done something wrong somewhere. When I got back after 1st ride to clean the bike I was trying to spin the pedals backwards to clean the chain and it the chain was getting caught up at the top between the front rings and the cassette - as though the cassetter won't spin backwards easily.

It doesn't catch if I free wheel and the rear wheel seems to spin back on it's own ok.

The only thing that happened when I was replacing the cassette (first time I've done that since I had a new rear wheel last year with a Hope Pro 2 hub) is that when I undid and removed the cassette the inside bit that it sits on that goes into the hub came out as well, it just seems to sit back in there without screwing in or any other way of keeping it in place except for when you put the cassette and axle back on - is that normal with this hub?

Thanks,
    Justin.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09
    Hardrock Sport Disc 10

I have had a similar priblem with my pro 2 evo, when te freehub body popped off (cassette gouging) and the hub stopped freewheeling! After lots of mucking around with hope it seems my bearings are fucked! I am talking to hope to try and get bearigs FOC as they only lasted 6 months Maybe there is a rpoblem with a batch of evo hubs as they have stainless bearings due to the wider axle to strengthen against snapping! This means, i think, that the bearings are thinner so they are weaker, and possibly last less time! take it to yout lbs, they should be able to check the bearings and see if they are fucked!
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Or you could just correctly reseat the freehub seal in the hub shell. There's a workshop tool for quick fitting but you can do it carefully by hand . That should sort it.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

From the description it's a different problem to yours Monte. Hope are really good with warranty you should get New bearings for yours.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

Yeah, I'm currently tryin to sort it without sending the whole wheel back!

Originally they thought the seal was wrong on my hub, but then realised it was fucked bearings! Hope guys said to make sure the seal is in the right way round!
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Quote Originally Posted by Kevolution View Post
    Or you could just correctly reseat the freehub seal in the hub shell. There's a workshop tool for quick fitting but you can do it carefully by hand . That should sort it.
    thanks, but I don't really understand what you mean - do you know of any vids or instructions at all. All i remember was removing the bit that was still in the cassette (that the cassette sat on) putting it back onto the hub and putting the cassette back on.

Is there something more specific I should have done?

Thanks for your help.

Justin.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09
    Hardrock Sport Disc 10

There is a video on the MBR home page... search for it - I think it is about changing axles, but this involves removing the cassette etc. It may help.
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Thanks for that, I had a look at the vid and will take a look tonight. I don't have the Seal Tool but it (and Kevolution) says you can do it by hand - it is relatively easy to do this - how do you know if you've done it properly, as far as I can remember it the body seemed to fit into the hub body on the wheel ok?

Thanks.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09
    Hardrock Sport Disc 10

Yes, really simple to reseat the seal thingy.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Disgreece is right but you could also look on Youtube for some video info , i have found it useful in the past for various stuff .