Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble with my rear brake disk

Having trouble with my rear brake disk

Good evening everyone,

I am new to this so apologies if I am asking obvious questions...

I took my rear wheel off this evening to replace a punctured inner tube. I have taken the rear wheel off before (quick release) and was able to fit it back into position ith ease. However, I was not able to do this with such ease this evening, with the trouble appearing to be the brake disk not fitting back into the brake. I managed to enventually fit the brake in and return the wheel to its correct position but now the brake is pressing against the disk so that the wheel struggles to move...

Advice is much appreciated. Im skint just now so cant afford to take it to the bike shop but dont want to be without a bike this weekend!!!

Cheers amigos

Re: Having trouble with my rear brake disk

Try a simple one first, is to take it on a wee test loop, pulling the brakes on more than normal, or using the rotor push the pads back into the caliper a little spin brake and repeat a couple of times, it may settle down back to normal.

If not............................................... ............more advice to follow depending on the outcome.

You may have inadvertently touched the brake lever the first time, but even so the pads should centralise. Maybe they are just sticking.

Take the wheel off again, push the pads apart with a blunt screwdriver (the bigger the better). Refit the wheel, apply brakes, try again.

Out of ideas now, need the experts.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

As steve says Initially except Don't use a screwdriver at all if you can help it. A plastic or wooden spatula type instrument from the kitchen is far more likely to be kind to the pads.

After that, check the wheel is definitely sitting properly in your drop outs.

If you are still having problems it's likely that for some reason you will need to centise calliper on the rotor. It can be diddly but it's not technically demanding.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

As they said above try pushing the pads out then put the wheel back on. To centralise you caliper loosen the fixing bolts spin the wheel, then pull on the brake lever. Keep the brake lever held in (it helps at this point if you have 3 arms) then do the fixing bolts up again. It may still rub slightly but that should get it close enough then you can loosen them off again and do it by eye so they don't rub.

Silly question maybe, are they hydraulic it cable operated callipers, as that would effect the advice you need? If they are hydraulic, save damaging the pads at all, you can just pop them out and push the pistons home.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.

--H.G. Wells

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...yG40/photo.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...40/photo-6.jpg

hmm, well on my bike with horizontal drop outs and shimano disc brakes i have to recentralise them most times i take the wheel out. basically just undo the allen bolts holding the brake to the adaptor, then squeeze lever and tighten bolts nice and easy (hopefully)
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Hello again gents,

cheers for the advice. I have just had a rather unsuccessful attempt at repairing the problem.

Yeah they are hydralic disks (i think!) Avid Juiceys

Ok, so wedging a wooden spatular between the pads and trying to edge them apart did not work. So it looks like im going to need to move on to Plan B.

Are the bolts a few of you have mentioned the ones which connect the part which stops the disk (caliper?) to the frame?

The strange thing is that their appears to be sufficient space for the disk to move until I spin the wheel. Its difficult for me to see where the disk is actually rubbing against the caliper.

Many thanks in advance : )

Yea, the bolts connect the caliper to the mount, they are self adjusting, so just loose them off, pull and hold the lever, then retighten whilst still holding the lever.
    Failing that working, stand over the wheel and look down on the disc, spin the wheel and check that you havent warped/bent the disc.
    Let us know how that works out for you mate
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.

--H.G. Wells

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...yG40/photo.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...40/photo-6.jpg

Im afraid to inform you that this still hasnt resolved the problem! it really is frying my brain...hate being with out a properly functioning bike.

I think im going to have to take it to my local bike shop and see what the experts have to say.

Cheers anyway for the help.