Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cannock chase

cannock chase

Was camping at cannock last weekend.

Weather was fantastic for the time of year and the trails lightly dusty.

Did the final run from tackeroo where we were camping and it is heaps better than jan, but it is so badly eroded by people who are braking badly and makinf pot holes in the trail.

Fortunately the monkey doesn't attract so many riders and is in better condition. There is still plenty trail damage.

It really needs someone to decide to shut it for repairs (they should have done that over the winter, its not rocket science !!! )

There is a cheeky new black section half way round the monkey that added a bit of spice, whick was nice.

Although the money might have been better spent on trail repairs elsewhere

Hey ho, all in all a great weekend

One day your life will flash before your eyes.

Make sure it's worth watching!!

Re: cannock chase

yeah the dog is bad in parts. You can see they are trying to repair but totally agree with you, instead of the new Black trail on the Monkey the money would be better spent repairing first.

but the new black does look fun! not plucked up the courage to do it yet...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Trees dont get out of the way, no matter how much you shout at them

It is worth a go, but the hard part I guess is to know you CAN do it but your mind says otherwise. Just get over the back wheel and keep rolling, stopping mid way is the big problem, once comitted just go for it, keep feathering the brakes for control.

Getting used to being slow and controled over the back wheel on a very steep descent is the bit to over come. But once you have. You will shout 'bring it on'

I'll try it soon I think.. when there are plenty of people around to carry the stretcher afterwards!

them first drops looked very big.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Trees dont get out of the way, no matter how much you shout at them

but the hard part I guess is to know you CAN do it but your mind says otherwise. Just get over the back wheel and keep rolling, stopping mid way is the big problem, once comitted just go for it, keep feathering the brakes for control.

Getting used to being slow and controled over the back wheel on a very steep descent is the bit to over come. But once you have. You will shout 'bring it on'
    That's the bit I have to practice and be a bit more gun ho with, but there is always a little voice telling me to back away. Just have to go for it I think!
    Giant Trance X3, 'modified'.
    Cotic Bfe in 'Black Grape'

Don't get me wrong, you need to have a measure of your own confidence / ability and that is gained by sessioning easier stuff and working your way up.

Worth heading out with some other guys and just push your own boundries a little at a time

.... but there is always a little voice telling me to back away. Just have to go for it I think!
    I have the same problem, its called self preservation!

I tell myself "this time, I'm gonna do it, yeah, yeah, go for it, GO FOR IT!"
    But when I get to the edge of the drop, the screaming child at the back of the brain says "roll off it!" So I do.

But these things happen on "now time". I look back at what I used to be scared of last year and compare them to what I can do now and I can see the progress. As long as I see noticeable progress, it feels good.

Trouble is I'm running out of time!

Faster progress required!

I think I need a faster head!
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

Also had a moment of doubt last weekend when I went to Innerlethen, same sort of thing, a bit like the McMoab steep bit, could not get a proper run in to this, staying at top contemplating your doom is not a good thing to put your self through.

Sometimes it is best just to go for it, would be nice if you had just seen someone else doing it, most of the time sadly there is nobody else around before, still from video.....

Looked a lot worse from the top, as usuall!

One of the leaps forward I made was not to have any finger on the brakes when going over the edge. I'd only use them (intentionally or just in panic) with poor results. Just letting go seems to work better.

I'm sure to get found out sooner or later, but that will give rise to another leap forward (after I've healed).
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

Steve there is a lot to be said for the death grip approach... It's one less thing to think about, so you have more focus on where you are going, plus you are less likely to lock up and lose traction.
    Obviously it's not perfect for all situations, but where you know you should new able to do it without breaking then it's great.

I found a few rocky sections 'jumped out in front of me' at machynlleth last month... I had no time to check my speed a little as I normally would while trying to spot a line... Ended up just flying on through full tilt, good fun and a good confidence builder. I really felt is found some of my old mojo that I've lost since not getting out as much.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig