Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wheelset?

What wheelset?

Hi people

I'm thinking of changing the Bontrager wheelset that came with my Trek Fuel EX8. They are Bontrager Rythm comp I think.

The reason being basically they are crap. The back wheel keeps pinging spokes and the front is so out of true it's unbelievable. They have taken a pretty good kicking over the last 10 months but I think they are past it.

So, can anyone give me a few pointers in the wheel market? Was thinking along the lines of Hope Pro 2 with DT 5.1. Mainly because of the build quality and the hope guarantee. I'm currently running tubeless and don't won't to go back if that helps.

I usually ride trail centres like Laggan and the 7 stanes and like to go up the occasional mountain if that helps.

Any input would be much appreiciated.

Cheers

Mikey
    09 Trek Fuel EX8

Re: What wheelset?

I'm running Mavic EX721s and pro 2 hubs... totally bomb proof.
    The 721 is not tubless but iirc th 728 is. Check them out.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

I'm running Mavic EX721s and pro 2 hubs.
    Gonna get these for my build.
    Bling.

XM819s?
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Cheers guys

I need a wheelset that's gonna be pretty bulletproof. I'll check out the suggestions above. I'm pretty tough on my wheels so that's why the hope hoops stood out.

Are some of these just rims only or wheelsets?
    09 Trek Fuel EX8

I'm running a tubeless setup with Mavic XM819s on Hope Pro IIs. Extremely happy with them so far, seem to be plenty strong and light too.

The wheels I have I got hand built, but it's not really much more than buying factory ones (if any)... And you can spec the colour of hub etc.

EX721's a re the Mavic DH rims.. I've had a few very heavy landings and they are still running true.

A quick google shows me that the newest UST version of the EX721 is te EX823 (last years were an Ex7xx, you may be able to find those on offer).

They are not very light, but they are really sturdy. I'm the wrong side of 16st before I even put my socks on, thy've doneme for a good while on my HT. I bougt them specifically as they would be fit and forget.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Just to clarify the Mavic rim choice (it seems we have unanimously agreed on Mavic UST ) the XM 819 will take a tyre of up to 2.30, whereas the EX 823 takes tyres starting from 2.30 up tp 3.0 - that should show you the character of each rim.

I'm going for the XM819 cos I do mainlt XC with a few drop offs and little rough DH and run a 2.1 up back and a 2.25 up front.
    If you are a lot rougher on the bike and run larger size tyres... EX823. Simples
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

currently running 819's on xt hubs, were absolutly dirt cheap last year from CRC, 165 quid for the full set, absolutly absurd!!!

next time, i think ill prob go with hope pro 2 on the same rims, the rims are ace as far as im concerned, the hubs have needed the cones doing a few times in the first year, which i believe the hopes dont have cones to adjust....and are probably a bit more durable/stronger than xt's....

cant fault the xt's though, 165quid for full tubeless setup was out of this world and ive never looked back!

i really really love the look of the xt wheelset but they are expensive and id need a conversion kit for the both the QR and also the centre lock, sounds like too much hassle

or if money was no object id get some mavic crossmax slr, 6 bolt, qr, tubeless and ready to rock!

To follow up on what Disgreece said too;
    you can also get rims from mavic in the en range (enduro) , these sit between teh two, so not quite as tough as EX range of rims, but they are lighter but not quite as light as the XM (cross country rims). not sure if they do tubeless in that range, would have thought so.

If you want to go super pimped, you can also get pro 3 hubs, with elbowless spokes, not sure if they are as tough as pro 2.. they look it.

with reagrd to the toughness of pro's, i belive Trek are using them for their team racing this year... it mentioned in in mbr this or last month.so i think they will really be standing up to abuse quite well.