Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C2C for the unfit and fat

C2C for the unfit and fat

I would class myself as a casual rider and might ride, say, 30 miles or so for a fun trip out on Sunday and feel it a bit on the monday! Has anyone with similiar fitness / commitment levels completed a C2C and how long did it take, I was wondering if 3 or 4 days would do it?
    FSR XC Rider

Re: C2C for the unfit and fat

Hi, I'm planning to do the route later this year so can't talk from experience except to say that the guy I was going to do it with has just walked it and reckons we're not fit enough to ride it! Took them 9 days 5 hours to walk. He say's he saw lots of bikes with realy fit blokes who looked like they knew what they were doing (I thought I fell into that camp myself, but on hearing him I'm re-appraising that). Apparently they were at deaths door after 6 days with full support, no heavy backpacks. We're planning to bivy and I'll take a 30lt rucksack. I've planned the route on memory map for the gps and choping it up into around 45k days with 2000m ascent on first day then reducing in ascents to around 1200m per day (whole ride is over 7000m of ascent) it looks like a 6 day trip to me. I do 2 mid week rides of around 9 miles each, mid terrain and a good road climb but no more than 300m. Weekeds are the biggies, Killer Loops or 40-45km 1000m - 1500m+ ascents and he still reckons we need to train. Better to get fit and nail it rather than having to bail out or, worse, get into trouble miles from anywhere.
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby

We did it in 5 days in Sept (with Packhorse support), it was tough, longest day was final day over Yorkshire, 56 miles. Superb ride.

Hardest day was day 2 on the Lakes, it was hot. You do need to train for this type, if you do not regularly commute or such like.

A lot of c2cers stay in my local.most say it's not that bad.Last year two girls turned up one friday night said they were doing it for a laugh.about six weeks ago some dutch bloke did it on strange shop bike.Then last month me and the missus found a retired doctor and his daughter stuck trying to fix a puncture.Their bikes were more unfit than they were.It cant be that hard.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and my Brother did it in April 98. We started training in january with a 30 mile ride at Ladybower (Derbys) once a week as well as commuting to work. We did it over 7 days (the first only being 2hours as we travelled up that same day). We now say day one and two could be done in one.St Bees-Eskdale over black sail. This was also our holiday that year so 8-10 hours in the saddle wasnt our thing. I am hoping to do it again next year but my brother doesnt ride anymore so am looking for company.

Get hold of the Wheelwrights c2c book. this is what we followed. Some good handy tips and routes.
    One tip from us, Do not underestimate WALNA SCAR ROAD!!!

We did it with back packs, what is your route/daily riding. We did it in 98 and if ya doing simular route can give some tips on certain areas.

Thanks everyone for this great response - I haven't planned a route as yet, I was just beginning to think it through as I would like to do the ride as a fundraiser for Macmillan or British Heart Foundation. The only complication is that as a hapless salary slave and with mouths to feed I only have so much holiday time/money I can indulge myself with before it impacts on family so I'm interested to see how long I should look to allow.

As well as the weekend rides I commute a 15 mile round trip 2-3 times a week and could perhaps up this to 3-5 times a week. What proportion of the route is offroad as I guess these will be the most arduous parts , how did you accomplished types split the ride up was it by miles per day or hours per day?
    FSR XC Rider

We followed the book where we could. W stopped in youth hostels all but one day. Ennerdale yh, Eskdale yh, Windermere yh, Kirkby Stephen B&B, Grinton yh, Osmotherly yh, wheeldale yh. This was also our holiday so we were never going to kill ourselves to do it in a few days. Black sail pass is carrying in places, Walna scar rd is hard!!!
    My training consisted of a 10 mile ride twice a week, commute 5 days a week (i only worked 1.5 miles away but i live at the top of a steep hill and work at the bottom. Up hill all the way home)And then 30 miles on a Sunday round Ladybower. The distance sounds good what you are doing as long as there are some hills, YOU WILL HIT HILLS!!! You could do 50 mile a day, but if its all flat you will suffer. The route we took was 210miles with 197 off road.
    Our bikes died on the penultimate day. We managed to get to the hostel were we left our bikes to pick up later and walked the last 16miles. If you can, get on a treadmill or steep hill and do some walking. We didnt realise how differently you use your muscles when walking. We had a full breaky every morning, took mars bars and isostar energy drink in the day then filled up on rice, pasta and chicken everynight. We lost half a stone in the week we did it. anyway, enough of my jaunt. When are you planning to do it as i am hoping to do it again next year.

Hang on are we talking about the c2c whitehaven to sunderland/tynemouth or the coast to coast st bees to robin hoods bay?
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gorehounds right, I've just come across the Whitehaven to Tynemouth version of the route which the guy who's done it said was boring and easy (all roads). That doesn't sound like the St Bee's to Robin Hoods bay one to me!
    So it could well be possible to do a C2C with just a spare inner tube and a mars bar in your pocket OR the full on, full fat 'just kill me now and leave my body here' route.
    I know which one I'm heading for!
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby