Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wheelset?

What wheelset?

Currently I'm looking at Mavic XC717 with Hope Pro II hubs. These are nice & light, should be plenty strong enough for the riding I do & are quite well priced for a complete rebuild (with black spokes). They also came out top in a round up of wheel builds in What Mountain Bike.

All good. but I'm wondering if it might be worth me going up to the, slightly heavier & beefier, XM719 rims with Hope Pro II hubs for the rebuild? I want to be running 2.1" tyres, which I think is about the max the XC717 can accomodate but I've read reviews where people have been running these no probs on these rims.

Re: What wheelset?

This is a very similar set-up to what I've got in mind. But I'm definitely going to get XM819 UST rims so as to go tubeless. (You'll save weight there too!)

( and I've just remembered! I'll be in the UK in 3weeks time, so I'd better make up my mind and order them! )

Whatever you decide on, make sure the build is done well and they use the right stuff on the nipples!

Don't know if you have shopped around yet but I'd also highly recommend the guy I got my brakes from... friendly service and competitive price. Try sending SirQ a PM with a quote and description of what you want
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Cool, Cheers. I was looking at Merlin Cycles for my wheelset.

merlin are a well established wheel building company so buying from there should be a good idea.

as for the 1st wheel choice i have the same build, they are quite a fast rolling wheel.

i am 12 stone and ride typical xc, a lot of trail centres with various sized drop offs, i have had the odd buckle but nothing serious.

i would not put anyone off chosing this wheel build if they were of my weight and ride style, but i cant say for sure how they would be with a heavier or/and a more aggresive rider.

I'm about 13 stone these days! Erm. Maybe I'll go for the XM719's. I don't think there is much difference in weight over the XC717's.

I ride Hope Pro II hubs with Mavic XC717 rims and weight more than 13 st!! Had no problems with them. I asked my LBS to price match Dave Hinde Cycles who are cheapest on this combo and they did! Paid 245 for the pair, with spare spokes and hub conversion kit.
    Rides: -
    Kinesis Maxlight XC120
    Spesh Stumpjumper FSR

so I,ve not managed to UST you then!
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

so I,ve not managed to UST you then!
    I'm open to options. I've not actually checked those UST rims yet. I'll definitely check all options before ordering

I opted for DT Swiss rims on my hope hoops which were available for the same money as the mavics - top quality, pretty light and strong enough for my cavalier 'hit and hope' riding!
    well at the end of the day... the sun goes down

i cant beleive people dont go ust tubeless, i dont see the benefits of tubes over tubeless....ok maybe a tad harder to setup initially, but i highly highly doubt you will ever get punctures the same ever again....

riding mine tubeless for a year and never been caught out with a puncture, over all sorts of possible terrains, including canal paths etc with thorns...

ive never really noticed any punctures though im 90% sure ive had them and the sealant has done its job and repaired the puncture...the fact i dont know 100% that ive not had a puncture is testiment to tubeless....

1 year of pure riding on them and i dont even know if ive had a puncture, a sure fire sign they are doing there job and saving me the hassle of puncture repairs....

and they are hardly any more expensive either than standard rims....

im pretty sure if you have them setup right from day one, then you will NEVER revert back to tubes....