Thread: Servicing Rock-Shox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn

Servicing Rock-Shox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn

Hey,

I've got some fairly basic RockShox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn forks. They're not all that great to be honest, but I'm poor and trying to save up for a Zesty so I won't be replacing them. They're getting a bit sticky and as they've never been serviced I've decided it's time to have a crack. So, how easy is it to do? And more importantly, how easy is it for me to wreck them?! I've downloaded the guide from the SRAM website but it says it's for 2006 models and mine are 2009. Will there be any difference? I'm faily handy with most stuff and have replaced or serviced nearly every bit on my trusty steed (a GT Avalance 1.0 2007) but forks have always alluded me... until now.
    So, answers on a postcard please.

Cheers!
    Lee

Re: Servicing Rock-Shox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn

Hi Lee,
    Get yourself onto the TFTune website and order up the spare parts before you do anything else, you'll need new crush washers for the fork lowers straight away. So order up new O'rings throughout and you'll be set.

As for complexity, the guild of bike mechanics says it's all done with smoke and mirrors and you should be careful as you'll endager yourself and your loved ones if you even think about doing the job yourself.

I reckon, put some quiet time to one side, get the tooling laid out and plenty of space, clean rags and IPA at the ready and go for it. It's not hard.
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby

Cheers for the advice! Had a quick look at the website. I'll give them a buzz this week and see exactly which bits I need. What type of grease and which weight of oil is best as well?

Hi lee,

teh RS webby has that in all their documentation. I'm goig to be doing similar to my Pikes this weekend and they use 5wt to fill teh lowers and 15wt for the sealsna and stuff when putting them together...
    I'd expect it to be teh same but have a look at this and it should give you teh info you need;
    http://sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/.../TM_MY09_E.pdf

I think it's the updated version of what you were looking at.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Yep, as above, follow the webby instructions and they have all the different oils and applications that you need.

A really useful piece of kit, btw, is a large syringe so you can accurately measure the oils. if the local chemist is a no go then try the vet's.
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby

eBay also sells a bunck of syringes cheap.... Inthink you will do better at a vet than a chemist. You may get a weird look when ask for them, just tell them that your horse is a drug addict and you're trying to stop him sharing sryinges and they will be fine.

That is a joke btw. Just say you need them to service your forks and that you specifically don't want a needle.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig