Thread: Trek Fuel EX9 or Cube AMS 125 ??

Trek Fuel EX9 or Cube AMS 125 ??

Hi.

Need some help please. Currently looking for a FS bike. Currently have a Whyte 905 which I love, it is light, climbs brilliantly but is like a bone shaker on the rocky descents you get at some of the trail centres, to the point where my hands ache and lower back is not so good the day after and I'm not getting any younger!!

I have found a Trek EX9 at my local shop that is about 2 months old been used about 3 times and has been traded in by someone with a bad back who has bought a road bike, looks mint and will be 1,800, new ones are about 2100 -2200 at the moment. Also found a good deal on a Cube AMS 125 for a similar amount.
    Anyone got any advice or experience on these bikes or maybe got one having had a Hardtail?
    Many thanks in advance

Dan98

Re: Trek Fuel EX9 or Cube AMS 125 ??

Welcome dan, I cant really help you out with the decision. People here say a lot of good things about cubes and the trek fuels. I think whatever you decide you'll end up on a really nice bike. I would give them both as much of atest ride as you can, see which you feel the most comfortable.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Hi Dan,

WTTF.

That's a pretty competent HT your moving away from. My concern is that you might not be any comfier on a FS than with your HT, it could be lots of things like bike fit, riding style, saddle height etc etc.

Have you tried a FS to see if it sorts your problems?

You have?????, great then I'd say the Cubes are super - great levels of kit for the dosh but the AMS 125 seems to have racier geometry than the Trek so it's really important that you ride them both to see which you get on with.

You havent???, great then go and hire a couple at trail centres to see if there's any difference.

My thoughts are yours to do with as you will
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby

Thanks for the advice to both of you.

I haven't test ridden either on the trail so as you say that is probably going to be the best idea before spending any money etc...
    As you say my Whyte is a great bike and in many areas it excels, I just felt at times on a recent trip to Cwmcarn in particular I had to hold back on rockier descents because it was just too uncomfortable (because of no suspension) as the bike is fantastically comfortable for me in all other areas. One of those situations where ideally keep the Whyte and buy another but don't think I'm going to get that one passed somehow!!!
    Cheers

I know how you feel, I wouldn't mind another couple of bikes in addition to my current one... My wife has put her foot down and declared it's a new house before any additional bikes... She has a point. We barely have room for the one each we currently have.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

It would be the Trek for me. The EX8 is a cracking bike, so the EX9 can only be better.
    '08 Stumpy FSR Expert. Back On The Road... For Now
    '06 Kawasaki Versys GT

Trek