Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Bracket Help!

Bottom Bracket Help!

I think I've done a wrongun!

I was trying to remove my square-taper bottom bracket and, despite trying desperately not to, I've gone and broken most of the "teeth" off the collar with the removal tool. The bottom bracket hasn't been taken off the bike in 9 years, so it's pretty well fixed.

The teeth on the other side are still intact. Does anyone know if there's any chance of me removing the thing now?

Re: Bottom Bracket Help!

Are the teeth broken on the plastic side? If so then you may well be able to get the other side undone and the plastic side may then have enough teeth left to come off?

Bathe both sides in wd40 over night to make it a bit easier. Make sure you are turning in the right direction too.

If the platic side won't come off you may well be able to break it so that you can get it out in peices, make sure you don't damage any threads though else you could be in real trouble... If in doubt it may be better to get your LBS to help out.

P.S. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Cheers. Just to be clear, plastic side (non-chain side) should be turned clockwise?

My bottom bracket was fairly well stuck, with no grease after only 6 months. The drive side would not release. Releasing the non-drive side seemed to free up the drive side, so give it a go.
    Whyte 19 Carbon Race 2010 - XT equipped speed machine.
    Iron Horse 2008 6point4

http://avatars.jurko.net

Cheers,

And sorry, I should re-write that last post. The drive side is the plastic side on my bike and I've been trying to remove it anti-clockwise, i.e. like a normal thread. It was moving slowly but it was creaking like hell, then the teeth stripped off. The non-drive side should be removed clockwise - is that right?

Hi Fat Cat,

The drive side, where the chain was undoes with a left hand thread so turn it clockwise to take it out,
    The other side or left side or non drive side undoes normally so you turn it anti clockwise.
    I can't see how you've got the plastic up on the drive side though
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby

I haven't. I wasn't looking at the bike when I wrote it and got mixed up. I'm pretty sure the BB is stuck fast and I don't own a vice so I'll have to toodle along to the LBS. Fortunately, the BB doesn't seem too bad. I was trying to remove it to get the size so that I could order a new cartridge, but it doesn't need replacement urgently.

Ahh, That'd explain it...

To find out what size it is all you need to do is measure the length of the axle and the width of your BB shell which'll either be 68mm or 73mm and more likely 68.
    So you don't need to drag it out to find out its size.
    My site http://www.ezerider.com serving Staffordshire, South Cheshire & Derby

Ah right, thanks. In that case it's a 68mm to 113mm. Still can't budge the blooming thing though!

If the tool your using to remove it is slipping then you might be able to put the crank bolt in to hold the tool in place?
    Depends which tool you have though.

Either use a LOT of WD40 if you have got one side out. Or if it's a standard steel frame, pour Coke down the seat tube and leave it overnight.

To clarify what I mean by Coke:
    http://images-cdn01.associatedconten...300_134407.jpg

Make sure any hole in the bottom bracket is blocked (cable guide hole).

If you can't get the plastic side out then cut it out with a hacksaw blade (accross where the threads are) take your time and stop before you get to the threads. Make these cuts in 3 places and it should come out easily.