Thread: Bizarre tubeless problem

Bizarre tubeless problem

Ok as title really
    Been running tubeless for years without one bit of problem
    From ghetto setup to my latest wheels which are tubeless ready complete with rimtape pre installed

Did them last year had three different tyres on without any problems just simple swap over
    Then today I changed the valve core as I couldn't get the little knurled part to turn without pliers
    Swapped over reinflated only to come back an hr later and was flat, so reinflated with a different valve core
    Came back over 2 hrs later again flat

So I put the wheel in the bath to check for a leak and found only one coming from a spoke 2 away from the valve core
    So removed valve cleaned area and reseated it and tightened it up job done I thought
    Dumpmed it back in the bath checked it no leakes, happy bunny left it while having some scram
    Come back to fit on bike and it's leaking again from spoke hole but from a bout 3-4 this time?? Weird
    So again removed the tyre but what's really bizarre is it was still leaking air from the spoke I could hear it

So I loosened the valve and it released all the trapped air under the rim tape? Wtf how on earth has this happened haha. Any ideas how this just happened
    I'm gonna try some gorilla tape round the valve hole as that's what I used with great success on my previous wheels
    Could Replace the valve as I suppose as that could be leaking but not sure why

Cheers

Well added some gorilla round the valve hole held for 5 mins then escaped from spoke again
    Covered the whole rim with tape and replaced the valve core not leaking from spokes any more yay
    But leaking from valve hole haha pulled it tighter and it seems to be holding
    Have to add that I don't have any stans in as ran out the other day changing my mates tyre over
    But had enough already in, until it spilled out due to the 6 times the tyres been on and off in the last hr
    I really have this tubeless setup down to under 10 mins now happy days

There are still so many technical issues involved with tubeless that many consider it an art form.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Whyte T-130C RS
    # YT Industries Capra CF Comp

Gravel Rash King
    Tubes rule!
    Yeti 575.... Because its a yeti ok!!!!

Rides with Stabilisers
    Likely leaking through the valve hole, into the hollow rim. If the valve core was tight, removing it could have broken the old seal between the valve and the inside of the rim. Then it comes out the next valve hole. Getting the valve to seal to the rim is usually the bit I find hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Likely leaking through the valve hole, into the hollow rim. If the valve core was tight, removing it could have broken the old seal between the valve and the inside of the rim. Then it comes out the next valve hole. Getting the valve to seal to the rim is usually the bit I find hardest.
    Put an extra layer of Gorilla tape over the valve hole. The wrap 2-3" of PTFE tape around the valve, then knock it into the valve hole.

PTFE tape or "plumber's tape" can be bought from Wickes or indeed any DIY or plumbing shop.
    # Whyte T-130C RS

Geordie ingenuity sorted it haha
    Tightened the offended spokes about quarter turn and stopped that little problem
    As for the valve just tightened a bit more seems ok Been up for 48hrs now so seems sorted
    Just need to drop back to about 18psi and alls gold

Quote Originally Posted by Tyjay View Post
    Geordie ingenuity sorted it haha
    Tightened the offended spokes about quarter turn and stopped that little problem
    As for the valve just tightened a bit more seems ok Been up for 48hrs now so seems sorted
    Just need to drop back to about 18psi and alls gold

You'd think the sealant would fix the slight gaps around the spokes wouldn't you?
    # Whyte T-130C RS

Quote Originally Posted by steve_sordy View Post
    You'd think the sealant would fix the slight gaps around the spokes wouldn't you?
    Yeah it did a great job sealing my tyre in the summer when I hit a rock there was huge bang but the sealant did its job, gets into all the gaps
    but there's no sealant in atm but it's still up