Thread: Psychoanalysis

Psychoanalysis

So, what took you to where you are now?

Obvious prerequisites being, a copy of MBR, a bike, a computer and some time.

Did you want to get fit, spend some time with friends, get away from it all, take up a hobby, get more serous with the hobby you already had, discovered trails/trail centres?

To some this may seem we may have a screw loose somewhere, spending time effort and money on cycling, how would/do we justify this activity to others?

Understanding the psychology behind this will, help understand ourselves and where we are going with this, is it with us for life now, what OCD’s will we develop? How are we progressing with our riding? What’s next?

Re: Psychoanalysis

I suppose I’d better start,

I saw the middle age spread, spreading, someone gave me an old rigid mountain bike, I went for some cycles, found the road boring and frankly dangerous, went of road, this could be interesting.

Spent some time on that old bike, sister in law left a copy of MBR around a holiday home we were at, started to see potential in what I was doing, bought a shiny new bike, still cheap, got slightly better at going off road.

Was then introduced to Glentress by my sister & brother in law, that was interesting, bit of an adrenalin rollercoaster ride, fear, relief, exhilaration, I was now hooked, bought more MBR, saw much that I would have liked, over the years collect more and more bike related stuff at the back of my garage.

I do not try to justify this to others, they think I may have something wrong with me, If pressed, I no longer have a middle aged spread, and do not spend that much time in front of TV or in a bar, I have a life it may be slightly different from others, but I hope that I am better for it, anyway what else would I be doing on a Saturday morning.

This is now costing me in time and money, but to be honest Mr Sigmund Freud, I don’t think I want it any other way.

Re: Psychoanalysis

Bought a diamond back ascent 16 years ago, got pi55ed broke my leg falling off a ladder put the bike in the shed for 11 years. Went to the doctors who advised lose weight and take exercise ( a bit rich coming from a fat doc ). bought a merlin malt 3 and had a few months of fun around gisburn. met some helpful guys how offered advice and encouragement.

Bought a trek liquid 25 and now have orange 5 pro. it's the only exercise i can enjoy with a crowd or can still be motivated to go out for 2 or 3 hours on my own in the pouring rain.

Most non believers don't get it, but that suits me or they would all be out filling the trails

Still over weight but enjoy the buzz

One day your life will flash before your eyes.

Make sure it's worth watching!!