Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Reba RLT Oil Volumes

2011 Reba RLT Oil Volumes

After topping up the compression side (I wanted to say circuit out of devilment!) with oil using the recommended values I found that when I inserted the damper cartridge it displaced some oil! So I started again (twice) and it still did the same! Like there was too much oil?

At this pointed I closed the garage door! The, nearly new Reba, was choosing a window!

Now I've calmed down and looked at the data again I'm confused. Yeh, not difficult. For 2011 forks (release 2010) it says 123ml and then for 2012 forks (release 2011) it says 106ml.

So the question. How do I know which value to use? (logic would say the lesser based on what's happening but I want to be sure!)

Thanks.

Have you shouted at it?

If that didn't work, then I don't know.

Apparently Rockshox have their year stamped under the crown. Haven't looked to see if it's true or not though. Prob on or around the serial number?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

I had this exact same problem, 2011 fork over-flowed when I put the recommended amount in, and I used syringes to accurately measure it!
    Even with the lower 2012 volume it still forced a small amount of oil out of the top cap threads before they bottomed out.

I ended up doing it trial and error and using the damper as a dipstick. Figured it was about right when the oil came 2/3 of the way up the damper when it was screwed fully in so there was a bit of an air pocket above the oil for expansion.

I can't tell you how much oil actually went in tho' cos I forgot to write it down

Yeh I used syringes too....bought them special so I could get it right!!

I may have to do the same - trial and error. Maybe try the lesser volume first.

It's a twat! Thought I'd do it quickly before I came up to Aberdeen, bike would be right to ride saturday - now I've got to fart about with it when I get home...grrrrr. Rebas easy? Well yeh if the info was correct. Vented

Quote Originally Posted by reevil View Post
    Have you shouted at it?

If that didn't work, then I don't know.

Apparently Rockshox have their year stamped under the crown. Haven't looked to see if it's true or not though. Prob on or around the serial number?
    Yeh I did shout - and at my daughter (bless her) because she was asking me stuff and I was getting PiŁŁed off.

I'll check the date thing thanks

i have the reba 2012 model forks and had the same issue ?

i just ended up filling so oil was at around 30mm from top with the leg fully compressed as i have them at 120mm.
    found that the pop lock only works properly when oil is high enough.
    so use the lock out for a guide and add or remove until its ok.

gives same value at 100mm or 120mm on sram site so its a bit misleading as you have 2 settings etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by lonner View Post
    i have the reba 2012 model forks and had the same issue ?

i just ended up filling so oil was at around 30mm from top with the leg fully compressed as i have them at 120mm.
    found that the pop lock only works properly when oil is high enough.
    so use the lock out for a guide and add or remove until its ok.

gives same value at 100mm or 120mm on sram site so its a bit misleading as you have 2 settings etc ?
    That's why I'm doing it in the first place. The Poploc stopped working so then I was unsure just how well the damper was working And yeh mine are set at 120mm too.
    Wish I'd bought it without Poploc but I think to change it you have to change the full damper ?(top section)

I'm pleased it's not just me - thought I was missing the bleedin' obvious! All the same, for a Critical Volume I'd have thought the info would have also been accurate!

I don't think travel affects the oil level by much - the oil sits in the stanchion and the rebound damper moves up through it, so the oil height relative to the top cap doesn't move by much. It will a bit because of the space the rebound damper shaft will take up as it moves into the oil, that's why I left an air space above the oil - seemed logical to me (if I'm wrong hopefully Kev should be along soon with a proper answer)

When you reduce the travel all you do is limit how far the fork can extend and thus how far the rebound damper moves back down through the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    I don't think travel affects the oil level by much - the oil sits in the stanchion and the rebound damper moves up through it, so the oil height relative to the top cap doesn't move by much. It will a bit because of the space the rebound damper shaft will take up as it moves into the oil, that's why I left an air space above the oil - seemed logical to me (if I'm wrong hopefully Kev should be along soon with a proper answer)

When you reduce the travel all you do is limit how far the fork can extend and thus how far the rebound damper moves back down through the oil.
    I'd thought the same tbh Hobo - But as I said, they call it a critical volume so the info should be correct?

Kev, Kev.....are you there???? I won't mention circuit! Helllppppp

At worst if there's not enough the lockout/compression won't work and if there's too much you'll not reach full travel. Not sure if you could damage the seals if there's too much and hit something big and force the excess oil out somewhere!