Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free standing / maintenance stand

Well hopefully picking up a Giant X1 Anthem 2009 model from a friend - loads of tlc and a good price (1,000) - but I wanted to look at gear before I pick her up. Otherwise I may go for a hard tail (rockhopper possible) as I want it to commute each day (9.5 miles each way) plus some single tracks and briddle paths etc.

Hi skimpy, without a very stringent conference Regine you will quickly kill a full suss doing a 9.5 mile commute (twice as quickly each way). I current do between about1 4 and 20 miles a day depending upon time and rite taken. I wear our posts on my hard trail quite quickly. The wear well be similar on a fill suss but you also have pivot bearings and a rear shock to maintain. So you still need to really look after your bike more.
    My rite takes in a canal tow path and a couple of tracks, in the wetter times it could do with cleaning daily, not that I do do it, I just accept that wear its going to be greater. I just make sure that the chain is cleanish, and that I wipe down and oil the stantions twice a well minimum. I script that the rest of the wear is going to happen and stop the bike down and regrease everything when I can (not often enough).

I'm not trying to put you of a full suss bike, just trying to make you awareof the extra effort/cost.
    it will be great out on weekends, during the week though it will be a bit pointless unless you are taking in some serious off road trails.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I use this one, as long as you have room in your place, but it folds away real quick

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...rkstand-1.html
    Hi Tango, thanks for the link, looks like a good price at 59. I wasn't sure from the picture, how does it actually hold the bike and would it really hold a large full sus? I'm guessing you clamp those jaws on the seat post? And it's stable enough to turn the crank and work on the gears etc?

Wouldn't locking the rear suspension stop the potential extra wear?

I have this one its proper solid
    http://bontrager.com/model/05268
    but alas its solidness means its heavy and bulky to store, I love that 'andy stand' thats deffo going on my list as my stand is to big to take with me when travelling
    Everytime you dont go out and ride GOD kills a kitten

............. O.............. /^^\
    ............. /\,........... /^ ^^\
    .............-\ -........ /^^^^ /^^\ ^\
    ............. /(*) /^^^ /^^ ^ ^^
    ......... (*) /^^^^ /^^^ ^^^^^
    ..........^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by rich_g View Post
    Hi Tango, thanks for the link, looks like a good price at 59. I wasn't sure from the picture, how does it actually hold the bike and would it really hold a large full sus? I'm guessing you clamp those jaws on the seat post? And it's stable enough to turn the crank and work on the gears etc?
    Hi Rich, yup on the seat post and yup no problem with stability. I use it for the orange 5 with no problems

A mate has a mobile MTB repair business and he uses that one

One day your life will flash before your eyes.

Make sure it's worth watching!!

i have this stand but maybe not to good for a hallway ?

great bit of kit all the same (you need to lightly scuff clamp areas so it grips the poles)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHA...ht_2310wt_1037