Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Bike?

Get out and have a blast, get used to the bike. The bike will cope with trail centres no problems, as you skill increases then you might decide you wan to improve certain bits... we're good at suggesting stuff for that.

Blue trials you only need a half decent sense of balance for. Red you need a little more practice, but not a lot to be able to get round. It just may not be as fun or fast. Any obstacle that is deemed to be a bit scary for a red will have a chicken run to use to avoid it. You can also just stop get off and walk round/down such a thing.

That said you want to put yourself a little out of your comfort zone every so often so that you get better. Just don't go from dropping off a kerb to a 6ft drop, you're likely to put yourself in traction and your bike in the work shop.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis92 View Post
    i assume the 4 hours is for professionals like you guys
    Err, no, that's for the quickest of the quick, the Olympians, with a few exeptions most of us are just ordinary guys trying to hold off the ageing process and behaving like big kids.

Trail centers are relativly "safe" places as someone who see another human in trouble will be along to ask how you are and do you need any help will be along in a min, unless you go out in the depths of winter where the sain stay at home.

Ex hire bikes at the center you ar going to are usually specced up to be about right for the trails, just bear that in mind, they may be used but you will have no doubts that they are ok for the trails there.

Either in work or out on the bike, so anywhere in the UK!!
    WTTF Lewis92.

I ride the Afan tails regularly. the Voodoo will be a good bike to tackle them on. It should cope with most of the stuff you could chuck it at there.
    Seeing as you're just starting out, I'd add to the advice to get used to how a new bike handles on tame trails first. Also gets any setup issues sorted before you get out into the 'wild' (brake lever reach, saddle adjustments etc.).
    As for the trails at Afan, the bike will be more than capable for all the trails. White's is probably the best to tackle first over a day, stopping to look at sections before you tackle them. It's all rollable with a basic technique, bar the black option at the top of the climb (which is definitely black, seems fine until you come across the descent of doom). The Wall is similar, but could put off newbies. Skyline is only black due to it's length but still isn't recommended for anyone not used to that length of ride. When the new Penhydd opens, it's going to be graded blue (from what I've been told) and would be a perfect one to start on, but they're still building it so isn't an option.
    Don't get hung up on the ride times they publish either! As long as you're back inside the max, you'll be fine. It's more to stop people heading out with no idea of how long it'll take and being stranded in the dark, not knowing where they are. As a guide, I can do White's in about 2 1/4 hours with a few stops for food/water/rest and I'm not the fastest by a long way!!

If you're at all unsure about the trails at Afan and whether a particular bike would be good there, give Skyline Cycles a call, maybe have a word with them about ex-demo's like Xendistar suggests too.

http://skylinecycles.tumblr.com/contactus

You want the Glyncorrwg shop for advice, call them midweek and they will happily have time to talk you through anything you're unsure about.

Don't forget to budget for any kit you don't have either. For Afan you need a helmet, gloves (just to save your hands), padded shorts and a way of carrying water/food/basic spares.

Might bump into you on the trails once you're up and running!!
    Rides: Boardman Hybrid Comp, TBC and err, that's it!

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Yeah I am eager to just get the bike and go for it before I talk myself out of it!

Im hoping at this rate to get a bike within 2 weeks and then break it in for acouple weeks and hit the whites trail as slow as possible !

Perhaps if your in Argoed in a month or two you can show me the trail as long as you dont mind being with a noob!

Either in work or out on the bike, so anywhere in the UK!!
    Got no problems doing that, always happy to help a noob. Give me a shout once you've got a bit of confidence on the new bike and we'll see what we can do.
    Rides: Boardman Hybrid Comp, TBC and err, that's it!

Dont forget to add yourself here :- http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/showthre...nted-meet-here

There is now over 300 markers, that's with me deleting repeats, though there are now some dormant users or at least ones we have not heard from in a while.

Hey guys just an update! I just bought my voodoo hoodoo its awesome! I'm on my way haha.
    How do you guys turn so quickly I try and seem to go in a strait line haha

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis92 View Post
    Hey guys just an update! I just bought my voodoo hoodoo its awesome! I'm on my way haha.
    How do you guys turn so quickly I try and seem to go in a strait line haha
    Trust the "force" !

Lean into the corners, if there are curved sides to the corners (berms) use them you go even faster, it takes a little practise but comes naturaly eventualy, trust your tyres and judgment.

Glad you are having fun, nice colour these bikes, the metallic red makes them go faster as well
    Last edited by MTBLeague; 03-Jun-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Yeah I'm trying to lean into them but I seem to level off kinda xD

On a side note, what type of bike maintanence is there? Like do they rust and stuff?

Chains rust, anything that is made of steel may, keep it clean and lubricated.