Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Bike?

Hybrid View

First Bike?

Hi everyone,

My names Lewis, and I want to get into mountain biking, ive never done it before and was wondering what type of bike under 500 I should get because I literally know nothing about it.

I live about 10 miles away from Afan Argoed in South Wales and thats where I want to start, I dunno if any of you guys have been there but maybe thatl help you inform me of what to get?

Any advice is welcome this seems like a very fun sport to get into! Currently I just ride a mountain bike hyrbrid I beleive its called to work and back (15 miles) each day and around a Nature park on weekends. So thats pretty much my only background and was hoping to take it up a notch!

I was looking at the Carrera Vulcan 2012? any thoughts on this?

Hope to hear from you all!

Regards,
    Lewis
    Last edited by Lewis92; 28-May-2012 at 12:01 PM.

WTTF Lewis,
    It has to be said that unless you are desperate to have this years model of bike, you will get far more bang for your buck if you browse what is on offer at stores like http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/ these are generally last years or year befores models at knock down prices. I've not ridden at Afan, but imagine it is a trail centre with all the usual types of terrain which would lead you to either a trail mtb or XC mtb depending on what you want to be doing. Also try to factor in any other things you may need, hydration pack, tools etc etc. As you mention you already ride I assume you will already have a half decent helmet. Without doubt others will be along to add any further help and comments. Be warned though, this hobby can become very addictive and very expensive! All the best :0)
    Giant Trance X3, though now specced a LOT higher.
    Cotic Bfe in 'Black Grape'

Hi Mark, Thank you!

Yes after seeing people flying up and down mountains I thought it was time to step up the game!
    I looked on the website you provided, would something like this be ok? http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/product...id=m1b0s2p1938

Yeah I have a good helmet (I think) so that should be ok, need to get a hydration kit though for sure!

Ive been told Afan Argoed is home of the Wall? dunno if that is good or not XD?

Thanks for your reply!

That Kona would see you fine. Top bikes Konas, always have been. It's specced up nicely, although you'll want to change the pedals

Just make sure the size is right: How tall are you?

I'm around 5'8 and ride 16" frames.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

Indeed; The Wall is top fun, as is White's Level.

You can ride them on pretty much any bike to be honest. The less travel on the suspension, the easier the climbing will be. (And there's lots of it); the more travel the easier the descending will be (and there's lots of that too!)

It's all subjective & those are my opinions.

Take a look about at some of the other threads on here; there's several with people looking to buy HTs for around 500.

Good luck & have fun!

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies!

I am 6ft tall Reevil and I was thinking about trying the Skyline trail? Do you know if thats any good? im looking for a shorter trail to get me started I suppose but a challenging one too.
    So Konas are a good make? I read somewhere that theres 3 different typs of suspension, front, back or both, what would that link be?

Im basically looking for a starter bike to get me into mountain biking but as i said previousley my knowledge is terrible, i dont know good makes from bad ones!

The wall, looks AWESOME but terrifying XD saw someone go down it at like 100mph :O mad man...

but yes 6ft

The Caldera was the model of choice for a few years at Glentress, had a freind buy a couple, so it is an ideal starter bike, just also factor in decent pedals and shoes so your feet don't come off as you get faster and faster on the rough stuff, most of all enjoy pointing yourself downhill and going weeeeeeeeee.....

At 6ft you're at around the limit for a 18" frame & might find a 19" more comfortable.
    As far as suspension is concerned, you can have
    None (if you're a maniac)
    Just suspension forks (hardtail)
    Forks & rear suspension (Full Suss)

As a beginner, a HT is a good place to start, especially if you're on a budget. Full Sussers don't come cheap if you want them (and you) to survive a trail!

That Kona does look like a bargain, it may be worth seeing if you can get a little go on a Kona HT somewhere, to make sure the size is good for you.

I've not ridden Skyline, but afaik it's graded Black because of the length, not due to technical difficulties.

You'll soon get used to the Wall & will be blasting down it before long. It's not too hard really.

Quote Originally Posted by reevil View Post
    At 6ft you're at around the limit for a 18" frame & might find a 19" more comfortable.
    As far as suspension is concerned, you can have
    None (if you're a maniac)
    Just suspension forks (hardtail)
    Forks & rear suspension (Full Suss)

As a beginner, a HT is a good place to start, especially if you're on a budget. Full Sussers don't come cheap if you want them (and you) to survive a trail!

That Kona does look like a bargain, it may be worth seeing if you can get a little go on a Kona HT somewhere, to make sure the size is good for you.

I've not ridden Skyline, but afaik it's graded Black because of the length, not due to technical difficulties.

You'll soon get used to the Wall & will be blasting down it before long. It's not too hard really.
    Ah thanks very much reevil so do you think if I get a bike I could do the whites trail first or what would you say out of the argoed trails would be good?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis92 View Post
    Ah thanks very much reevil so do you think if I get a bike I could do the whites trail first or what would you say out of the argoed trails would be good?
    Any. You can walk any particularly tough bits until your confidence & skill increases. Just take it easy to start with until you can handle the bike well, then increase the speed each time.

Personally I found Whites more technical than the Wall, so I enjoyed it more, but it's horses for courses really.