Thread: Worrying over nowt possibly?

Worrying over nowt possibly?

I have managed to snap the small plastic hook clip that clips over the securing bolts of the non drive side crank arm on a shimano hollowtech II system. I'm not entirely sure how important this part is as the crank arm is keyed and secured by said bolts. Will I be ok without it? For the life of me I can't seem to find a new one anywhere. My last port of call was to email madison to see if they could source them.
    Giant Trance X3, 'modified'.
    Cotic Bfe in 'Black Grape'

it's not essenatil.. i ran my SLX cranks for about a year without one...

Have a look on ukbike store, they ususally have good list of spare available t order, they shoudl be able to order i for you (once you've placed your order).

If not then a decent local store shoudl be able to get one... although with having to contact madison if they are too small it may take a while before they can make the minimum order size.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Oh my goodness, its ruined i'm afraid. Your going to need a whole new crank set and possible even a step up from slx as you don't want this to happen again.

welcome back home too
    Lapierre Zesty 214 2011

Genesis Core 30 2010

Cheers fella, maybe you're right time for new clutch type XT??
    Not this year!!
    Thanks for other replies, will call LBS see what they think. Its a very flimsy clip esp if you remove your cranks reasonably regular for cleaning / inspection etc..

Have a look at the Shimano techdocs site for the piece you're looking for then google the reference number (often without the first letter and the last zero)
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...&bmUID=jsJ8WAG.

For Deore and XT security plate (Y1-FU-98120) this leads to:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product...ity-plate.html
    or
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/m580-se...te-p-5414.html

not sure what range you are looking for, XTR has a different part number.

Or make something with say a paperclip, it's only there to stop the arm falling off if you are silly enough to try to use it loose, can't think of any other reason for it being there.

Either in work or out on the bike, so anywhere in the UK!!
    From an engineering side, you'd need to have the bearing tensioner (plastic nut at end) to work loose and fall out and both crank bolts work loose and not spot that it was wobbling when pedalling. Highly unlikely imho. The plastic nut is clamped in by the crank bolts anyway (hence why it's plastic?) so the crank would wobble before it could break free.
    Rides: Boardman Hybrid Comp, TBC and err, that's it!

Nice one gents, pretty sure I would notice something not right before that happened. Esp with how often it gets cleaned and fettled! You're not such a bad bunch really ;0)

It's there to show you when the arm is in the correct position. It has a pin on it that sits in a hole in the spindle when it's in the right place. It shows there's enough spindle engaged so the pinch bolts wil do their job. It's not essential if you have your BB correctly installed.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

Cheers Kev, I have ordered a new one anyway. They were only 1.50 so thought what the hell!