Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mate with buying desire

mate with buying desire

hi all, need some help making sense of a friend's desire to buy a Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 - I've never seen one in the 'flesh' and neither has he. Here's the rub - he's entirely and completely new to the sport but still wants a very nice toy. He's happy to spend 2k or a bit more and can't ignore the value for money argument for the Canyon. Disregard the usual response that it's a daft amount of money to spend on something that may never see the light of day and focus on the probability that it will be ridden on Norfolk farm tracks and woody trails in addition to infrequent trips to peaks, lake district, Wales etc. He's about 6'1" and probably weighs about 16 stone (?)
    What shall I advise? I'd be a lot happier if he just got a 2nd hand Orange 5 and had it serviced and maybe a respray just cos I know it inside out and I know it fits him.
    Advice gratefull received (never to be used as 'I told you so!')

Don't know anything about the canyon, but for 2k I'd have a look at the specialized camber expert. I picked one up earlier this year after researching nearly every bike and test riding many of them I couldn't find fault with the camber. (also scored 10 in MBR review). Basically it's 120mm travel at each end, Rock shox rebas, Fox triad, 2x10 chainset, avid elixir 5's and a nice set of DTSwiss wheels. The rear shock locks out so it rides well on the flat and you get a propedal and full open setting too (great for the flatlands of york where I live.) On my monthly trip to Dalby it comes alive, climbs really well in propedal and the suspension handles anything a trail centre can throw at you. If he's a bigger lad 120mm may not be enough, but I love mine (5'11 13st)
    By the way reccomendations for a good route near well next the sea for the annual family half term trip would be appreciated!

Another friend has just bought a Camber and it looks sweet - my worry was also weight to travel/disc related Wells is a tricky one to call - we never ride round there really. Don't be tempted to head off into the salt marshes since you quickly hit the worst mud you'll ever see! Nice family ride through the pine forest to Holkham and on the road you can try the national cycle network quiet lanes route through the villages, I did it with family of five all packed up with camping gear etc and it was nice. Don't bother driving out to Thetford since it isn't worth it in imho.

If he can stretch to 2.5k the Norco Sight 2 will be worth a look. Highly rated by MBR. Buy it from Evans and go for the SE model as it has and upgraded Fox fork instead of the Rockshox one.

i'd also look at CUBE, another german brand, absolutely bombproof bikes, the Acid is a stalwart hardtail, and TBH if he's just rolling around flat countryside he won't get any benefit from a massive full travel bike, unless he's after a cardio workout on every slight incline.

AMS or Stereo if he really wants a bouncer - but he'll probably be seriously over-biked for most outings!
    Clarence Worley said it best...

What you could always do is recommend he buys a decent hardtail costing about 700-800. Like you say, he's new to the sport. The best thing to learn the skills needed on is always a hardtail as you won't become lazy like you would with a full sus. The other thing to consider is that if he doesn't get on with biking then he's forked out much less money than originally planned. If he does get on with it then he can stick with the hardtail for a year or two then upgrade to a full sus further down the line, it'll make him appreciate that rear travel much more.

I agree with NorthernMatt.

a good way for a returning rider to get back into things is to buy an ex-hire bike, or ex-demonstrator. these are usually mid-level hardtails, but you'll pick one up for same or less than the entry level model. it'l have some dings, but thats part and parcel, plus it'll be fully fettled before you pick it up.
    I paid 400 for my Cube Acid - ex hire bike - which is 769 new in 2012.
    changed the saddle and grips and put my pedals on it - never missed a beat!
    Clarence Worley said it best...

Thanks - all great advice! I agree that ex-hire or demo is probably the best way to go. The reality is that this particular chap is also after a beautiful object d'art (I know ) and so that factor has to be added to the mix. Also, a fs may well iron out what could be lacking in technical skill on a bumpy down!

Just because you have bounce at the rear it doesn't mean that you will have more fun!

I'd advise him to seriously think about hardtail. There are lots out there that can count as an object d'art!
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

fair point fredmundo, I have a rigid inbred as a mistress but, whilst flighty, she's not as steady as the orange missus!