Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Week Free, Riding Ideas?

Question Unexpected Week Free, Riding Ideas?

As the title really.

Forgot I had an unused week's holiday from last year and it's been allocated to the week of 21st May Looking for somewhere to go for two days riding, trail centre or natural. Would like to be able to camp to keep costs down. Any area I don't ride regularly (most of Wales, Cheddar gorge, Bristol) is considered.

Itinery would be something like:

* Drive to campsite afternoon of day 1

* Ride a good long ride day 2, back to same campsite

* Ride a decent medium ride day 3, allowing for drive home (under 4-5 hours).

Hopefully the weather will be back to normal by then!! Can't decide on a single area so it's in all your capable hands to come up with something interesting
    Failing is not a failure as long as you have fun doing it

Have you thought about a guided ride in Yorkshire? MTB Cycle Yorkshire do multi-day guided rides based on tents, igloos, or pubs. They also do day rides. My thoughts are get up there for one of their guided rides and then do other stuff once you've seen what they've got. No doubt you would be able to link up with local forum members as well. There is some great stuff up there every bit as good as the Peak District.

Iain Johns #07958#130712 is a Yorkshire lad and is an excellent guide. He owns MTB cycle Yorkshire. I suggest that you ring him up and tell him what sort of stuff you are looking for and he will advise you. He did offer to do a free guided ride for the forum last year but got no takers apart from me, who put him up to it, (which was embarrassing).

If you went for it, I'd join you, but its an important birthday for my wife that week and biking is out of the question.

Alternatively, go for the Peak District, which is slightly closer for you. It is alive with camping sites and bike trails. In addition I know that several forum members live there and would be happy to assist or even ride with you. I'm thinking JonathanL and Hobo, as I've ridden with them - but no doubt there are others.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

I'd go with what Steve says and go to the Peak District. There is some superb riding round there, if you can get Hobo, Fred, JonathonL or someone to show you round? The campsite we stayed at last year is pretty good as well, it's called Hardhurst Farm iirc. Nice hot showers, somewhere to wash the bike, plus it has a cafe on site that you can get a superb full English from with oatcakes and the lot. Have one and you're set for the day!

Budget won't stretch to a guided ride and there's no time to get any more together! The peaks was my first thought when I got the holiday slip (then the lakes, Dartmoor etc). That campsite looks perfect as a base NorthernMatt, cheap with good facilities and right on the doorstep of a few rides round Hope Valley and Ladybower res. I have a few routes from the mag and other places for that area, so should be able to get two good day's riding out of it no problem Will give them a call tomorrow to see how they're looking for bookings.

Once I've decided on it and know days, I'll post up so anyone who feels like it can either join up for a day or point me in the direction of anything better!

If its a weekend and I feel fitter than I do now I may have a drive down for the shorter ride of the two. Especially if the words Whinstone Lee Tor are included in it.

Will keep that in mind..

I'd have to second the Campsite for location and nice and simpleness. not expensive, but a nice level field with decent toilet and shower. Right next to a pub too.

From that location you can hit just about any decent loop without to much travel, I think you are fit enough to pedal from there too.

I'd certainly suggest thing the edale classic loop, clockwise so that you finish heading down Jacobs ladder.

If you are feeling super fit you could ride from hope over to Ladybower, then do cut gate and back. Doing that would also allow you get in the beast, down past lockerbrook farm and you could also hit Winston lee Torr. Its a bit of an epic ride, I'd be breaking it up into about 2-3 rides.... But you would get 3 of the best descents in the Ladybower area done in one go.

I can get you sorted with a gpx file or two if that will help planning. If you like maps then you want the OL1 Landranger one.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Any gpx files will be gratefully received!! I've got the full UK OS maps from Memory Map for my GPS, so can print out to my heart's content for backup (always do in unfamiliar areas). Quality riding is what I'm after so any pointers on where to head are welcome.

I think the route Fred mentions going over to Ladybower from Hope via The Beast then onto Whinstone Lee Tor is what I did with Hobo last year but without the Cut Gate bit. If you do end up doing it that way there's a road descent going back to the campsite from the Ladybower Inn where you can get up to about 40mph

Yeah it'll be something like that Matt. Cut gate will double it I'd have thought... Possibly a bit more as you have a bunch of fire type road to add it in.

Milky, I'll try to put together a couple of gpx files for you in my lunch break.

The Monkeyspoon website has a cool map feature with some descents marked on it and bits of info to wet your palette...
    Last edited by fredmundo; 08-May-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig