Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MBR Forums Big Question

MBR Forums Big Question

Right here goes. This may make sense, it may not. It's early and I've not had much sleep. For clarification for any newcomers this isn't the magazine big question and you won't win any vouchers for posting here but that doesn't mean you don't have to, everyone is welcome to join in.

So the question is regarding right to roam. In Scotland you can go where you want when you want on anything without an engine, that works brilliantly up there as vast areas of the country are uninhabited and, crucially, uncultivated. Down here we have patches of open access with the rest seemingly patrolled by farmers with shotguns screaming "Geroff my land!"

If we had the right to roam in England would you ride more? Would you ride more varied terrain? Basically given a free rein which bits of the country would you go riding in that are currently 'off limits'?

I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That thread is pretty much what brought me to this question Gore.

Providing we could bike where we wanted, i'd hit the Army's training areas - during non exercise times. Some of the terrain we use is perfect for some crazy-assed mtbing, Catterick, Salisbury, Breacons etc. Even my local training area, despite being flat is ideal for some mtbing.
    So yes, provided i wouldn't get shot, blown up or run over by tanks i'd go out alot more often than i currently do, but mainly Catterick training area especially the off road tank/vehicle tracks with their hills, knife edge, water features and some wicked technical bits.
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

I really can't see why we can't ride where and when we want to ( within reason). obviously arable land, golf courses and peoples gardens are out. Public footpaths and the like should be open to all users. The equine fraternity seem to be allowed to ride everywhere so why can't we?

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gorehound View Post
    I really can't see why we can't ride where and when we want to ( within reason). obviously arable land, golf courses and peoples gardens are out. Public footpaths and the like should be open to all users. The equine fraternity seem to be allowed to ride everywhere so why can't we?
    Probably because a mountain bike doesn't rear its forehooves and stove yer head in!
    Boardman FSTeam 650B

Quote Originally Posted by Gunwitch View Post
    Probably because a mountain bike doesn't rear its forehooves and stove yer head in!
    and a mountain bike doesn't do anywhere near as much damage to wet ground as a horse does.

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree fella, but horses are liked by people because their kids go "ooh" and "Aah" at them, whereas us mtbers go "Oooh look at that arse in those jodphurs".

We are the evil kind according to some people, but we dont' leave piles of shit on the trails like horses, dogs and their owners who find it necessary to fling dog poo bags into bushes or pile them next to a dog poo bin!
    Anyway, we digress from the topic
    Boardman FSTeam 650B

Either in work or out on the bike, so anywhere in the UK!!
    If I had the right to roam here, I'd have SOOOO much more trail to ride on my doorstep
    Currently limited to a few DH trails at Castell Coch, the Taff Trail (always full of students, commuters and druggies!) or a 4 mile road trip to the Ridgeway to have the pleasure to ride through enough horse sh1t to make a desert fertile Does make it fun trying to get past the old farmer on a LEGAL bridleway without him setting his dogs on you if you take the low option

I wouldn't ride more, as a quick car drive to Cwmcarn's easy enough, but I would ride much more natural terrain. The paths round Llantwit Major beach would be amazing, as would the coast path. Currently footpaths, but it doesn't stop the horses going there. Why the hell do they get away with it, leaving crap everywhere and destroying the trail surface. Guess who gets the blame from the local council...
    Rides: Boardman Hybrid Comp, TBC and err, that's it!

Locally to me you tend to get away with riding whatever you want, if we had right to roam then I'd head to the Lake District and hit everything, the place is literally littered with awesome paths that we'd never get to use. Can you imagine some of the "big mountain" routes you could do up places like the Langdales and Scafell? I've always actually fancied riding down Cat Bells. It looks fun from the A66.