Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: June issue Big Question: is anyone excited by the Olympics yet? Win 100 CRC voucher!

Can't see what was wrong with using one of the established world champs courses at Dalby or fort bill.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are the 'climbs' referred to? There's more uphill in the Norfolk Broads than there is there!
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Dalby would have been a great venue, having ridden the WC course it's bloody hard, I couldn't even ride the climbs, let alone climb at any sort of pace! Descents were sick though, typical trail centre black route and a bit harder in places, I chickened out of Worry Gill!

(This is worry gill)

By the way, anyone know when the Dalby WC is this year, or have I missed it?
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

I was excited prior to the ticket buying fiasco.

Applied for the full 12 sessions in the first round, got nothing. Applied for the full three sessions in the "first come first served extra opportunity for those who got nothing in the first round" one, got one session of early round hockey only. (I have no interest in hockey but I wanted to go to the Olympics and it was all I could get.)

My 11 year old son who was badgering me to register for tickets from the day you could sign up (about four years ago), is very disappointed, as am I. Think the missus is probably not quite as unhappy with the outturn though.

Thanks Seb

I wouldn't have been interested in anything but the main athletics events until I met some Olympic competitors training at Afan on their bikes. They're not competing in any cycling events, they're windsurfers and none of them are British. None of that matters to me though, they're good lads and I'll follow their event with interest to see which one places highest or possibly wins a medal.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

I do like the Olympics, I always have done. My dad got me into the whole thing when I was old enough to run a 5k event. Being fit and healthy brings you on in life and promoting this sort of lifestyle to your children I believe is key to a fun and rewarding life. I'll be getting my 5yr old into the spirit of things, maybe even get her out on a couple of runs with me too.

For the people that couldn't get tickets to any of the games, there's always local events going on all year round. Have you been to any of those to support them? I used to go to see the athletics at the gateshead athletics stadium when i was younger and saw quite a few big names.
    Lapierre Zesty 214 2011

Genesis Core 30 2010

Olympics

I think the Olympics is nothing to get exited about for present riders, the style of the course is unlike most trails that are ridden (especially in the U.K scene). Plus the Olympics is really only showcasing the one discipline, when in reality no-one rides just one type of trail. I feel the Olympics is going to convey our sport in a different light to what it really is. Ridding is about pleasure and enjoyment and expression and if it takes a large global event to attract you it it's unlikely that your getting in to it for the right reasons.

All we are getting round here is about the sailing because its in Weymouth and the majority of locals could not get tickets from what I hear.........I think that we are not going to get a lot of publicity for Mountain Biking and the other thing is I think that because of how well we have done in the past the track and road cyclists are going to see more of an influx of new riders............any publicity we get will not necessarily be to our benefit but if it is good then it can only mean good things for us Mountain Bikers..........

Karen

Falling off in style since September 2009..................Laughs and just gets on with it............

Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    All we are getting round here is about the sailing because its in Weymouth ...............
    They can have the sailing in Weymouth which is 140 miles away and nearly three hours travelling. 140m from London is a lot of Wales, and you can get to the Peak District more quickly than you can Weymouth. So if they can support sailing in Weymouth, why not mtb somewhere good?

However, I have to assume that the people making the decision are as motivated to have somewhere good as we would be. But they have to think about access for spectators, TV cameras, all round visibility so the race can have 100% coverage, and no doubt a lot more other stuff besids. Oh, and not lets forget that Olympic thing "legacy". At least there will be a new track with car parking etc to show for it.

Its all about "trade offs".
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

Quote Originally Posted by steve_sordy View Post
    They can have the sailing in Weymouth which is 140 miles away and nearly three hours travelling. 140m from London is a lot of Wales, and you can get to the Peak District more quickly than you can Weymouth. So if they can support sailing in Weymouth, why not mtb somewhere good?
    Time scale in relation London to Weymouth or the Peak District I would say it is quicker to get to Weymouth but I do agree with what you say..........the Peaks or even somewhere like South Wales would have been far more preferable and given a far better quality of event..........

Karen

Falling off in style since September 2009..................Laughs and just gets on with it............