Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: June issue Big Question: is anyone excited by the Olympics yet? Win 100 CRC voucher!

I acknowledge and welcome the investment in a new mtb track and I understand the reasons for the choice of location. I even believe that a few people may start mountain biking for no other reason than what they see on the TV during the Olympics. I will welcome their conversion with open arms. But I've tried, I've really tried to summon enthusiasm ("excitement" is going too far). I have opened and read this thread several times and then closed it off as I had nothing positive to say. Will it really deliver "the biggest boost in publicity for our sport for years?" Am I "excited yet?" Reluctantly I confess to feeling neutral on both of those questions. "And will it actually be good for mountain biking?" More boring neutrality I'm sorry to say; the best I can say is that I don't believe it will do it any harm.

What the sport needs is for one of the TV stations to get behind it and showcase the sport from start to finish. Take a beginner through kit choice, bike fit, early learning steps, training courses, progression from blue trails and on to black and beyond, the differences between XC to AM and on to DH, more kit explanation (suspension set up for ex). One of the important factors to communicate is that mtb is for all ages and that you can start at any age. The TV program could be in documentary form, or maybe wrapped around characters in a "drama" series for example. But is either likely to happen? Not in a million years!

But maybe that's not such a bad thing! Do you really want hundred's of thousands of new riders clogging up the trails? Selfish I know, but I don't.
    Last edited by steve_sordy; 25-Apr-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

As much as I'd like to be able to get excited by it, I reckon it's going to be a bit of a let-down.
    Apparently it's going to be a fantastic event for all of us, shame no-one told my boss who's blocked all leave during the Olympics so the only chance I'll ever get to see world class cyclists racing just down the road from me is a non-starter.

Anyone I've spoke to who'll be working during the games aren't looking forward to it.

Personally I'll take advantage of the extra overtime that my employers will be throwing at us and make as much money off the back of it as I can.

As far as I'm concerned, the legacy for me will be a new bike once the games are over
    Last edited by Stumper; 27-Apr-2012 at 08:46 AM.

I'm not excited by the Olympics. This is mainly cos I'm a copper and in the same week Tom Winsor stiffed me with a pay cut my force told me I can't book any leave until September because of the Olympics, even though were nearly a hubdred miles from London. Kind of took the shine off it for me.
    Last edited by Fartblood; 25-Apr-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Throne slate carpet rain cabinet
    Fartblood All Terrain Cycles
    Making the Stain worth the Pain since 1969

The Athenians were actually encouraged to abandon the city during the 2004 Games to facilitate the ease of transportation of athletes, spectators etc etc.....
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Last thing I want is a load of hairy arsed cockerneys invading the countryside and cluttering up the trails

Quote Originally Posted by Colebag View Post
    What Olympics? Where's London?

brilliant love yer style dude

Thought I'd look at it again:-

Unsure if it was worth it......

I'm no expert, but that looks shite!
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

MBR have put a brave face on it, but compare it to any other top drawer race venue and it is shite really. I suspect much is for accessibility and ease of visibility to spectators and tv, but that's small consolation.

To be honest it looks more like a cyclo cross course. They had a world class venue they could have used and saved millions in the production and marketing of Hadleigh farm and spent 10% of that cost of moving all the required staff to run the event to Dalby
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it