Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cwmcarn...

and do not be fooled into thinking any of the car parking charge goes toward trail building or maintainance.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up at Fineshade Wood they've just put up additional signs saying that the parking is enforced! I guess they've realised that no-one was actually bothering to put money in the machines.

However the fact that they've put up signs suggests that they aren't really, just trying to scare you into paying up.

Quote Originally Posted by gorehound View Post
    and do not be fooled into thinking any of the car parking charge goes toward trail building or maintainance.
    I'm giving Cwmcarn the benefit on this one as it's not on FC land, it's Torfaen Council that own and run the Forest drive area. That's how they get away with charging cars to use the scenic road. Also means there's very little logging, only the occasional bit at the top.
    "Mountain Biking is life... everything before and after is just waiting."

Steve McQueen. Sort of...

Dalby is 8 and they sting you at the entrance with a guy on in a box!!! However, if he isn't there then you can drive through and not cough up, but they do check sometimes. When i was tabbing up the hills there, i would park in Thronton Le Dale then tab with my kit the mile and a bit to Dalby. It's ludicrous the charges.
    Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcbyelaws1982.pdf

Page 3, point xxxi. Also, if you scroll to the bottom it states that anyone found guilty can only be fined a maximum of 20 and then 50p per day for each day the offence continues.

I bet that without being directed to this little bit of legislation that hardly anyone would even know it existed. Nowhere on any signs asking for parking fees in any forest I've been in have I seen a sign stating that it's an offence to park without paying.
    Last edited by NorthernMatt; 15-Apr-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Thats interesting. I've never seen nor was i aware of that bit Matt. They should actually have it on signs at said car parks!
    Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano, Hail Shimano

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMTB View Post
    if thats the same bedgebury near me then park on the a21 m8, I dont mind paying fees but 8 a day when you go there a lot takes the pi55, I love Aston hill but only go a handfull times a year and they pounce on you as soon as you pull up there lol but well worth the 7 that place is well maintained, I gotta admit to not ever paying at cannock though. Its amazing how so many great trail centres are free or voluntary but the rubbishy small ones charge the earth?
    It is the same Bedgebury, I wouldn't mind so much if the trails were well maintaind, and some PROPER drainage put in, I rode there last July and it was muddy for half the red/black route!

I need to get up to Aston Hill at some point, but by all accounts sounds good! Have you tried PORC or Rogate?
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Nukeproof Mega - lightweight enduro/downhill ripper

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Bit bizarre this - I read the magazine and see guys (and girls) spending small fortunes on bikes and equipment but 3 for the opportunity to park a car and go mountain biking all day is baulked at? If you swim as a sport you have to pay outrageous fees to access public facilities. If you're a gym bunny then you pays yer annual fee and go for a month... Many other sports have really hefty fees to take part even once you have all the gear.

Perhaps having to pay for parking at CwmCarn might give the MTB'ing community more leverage when asking for the jetwash to be replaced (and made secure as I understand it was vandalised?) or other facilities to be sorted out.

A one hour charge will possibly be for those who drive up and use the cafe but not the trails.

I agree that some of the costs in other places are a bit steep however you could park further away and cycle in if you are trying to be frugal.

On a different note, anyone wheel clamping has to be licensed to do this which involves a fair bit of cost to the organisation as they also have to do this for each individual who does the clamping. They might threaten to clamp but are rarely able to do so. If it is the local council however who have jurisdiction over the car park then this would be less of a problem for them as I guess they have parking wardens even in rural Wales.

Why not write to the Forestry Commission (or do it via the CTC who do a lot of access lobbying) and suggest a year's parking permit - they might go for it as it would mean a large influx of revenue at a time when many public bodies are a bit cash strapped?