Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone choice based on GPS use

Phone choice based on GPS use

I have to choose a phone (work mobile) and I have been given the following options:

HTC Sensation XE
    HTC One X (Pre order)
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Iphone 4S 16G
    Sony Xperia S
    Sony Ericsson arc S

Obviously I have other requirements out of a phone which I am considering but what I can't find in most phone reviews is how well these phones track in GPS apps. I want to use the phone with Endomondo, Strava etc and want it to track well.

Does anyone have one of these and can tell me if it's good, bad or ugly?

I use a 4S, and while I'm not especially enamoured with it as a phone I am highly impressed with the accuracy of the GPS. Tree cover seems to affect it more than my Garmin, but it's so sensitive that plotting my routes on the map it even shows which side of a 2M wide bridle way I had ridden on.

PS - I use GPS Cycle full version, which is very similar to Endomundo.
    Last edited by Fartblood; 13-Apr-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Fartblood All Terrain Cycles
    Making the Stain worth the Pain since 1969

I use an iphone 4, does all of the above very well. I am an apple fan boy though. I would suggest testing a HTC One X in a shop though, seriously one hell of a phone!

Can't comment on the HTC for GPS, but check the volume loudness on the HTC, I got the original sensation last year and the volume is crap, unless I have it in my hand I don't hear it ring or anything, wished I had gone for the Samsung Galaxy now which I was considering at the time
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it

I use the Iphone 4S and it's pretty accurate. The only downside is that I do tend to use about 15-20% of the battery life per hour so a Sunday ride could become problematice if after a few hours riding I run into trouble and need to phone home! People have also said that the Trent back up supplies are good to use albeit a little bulky so that you can get another 3-4 charges from the phone.

I run Battery Doctor on my 4S and it now uses about 12% an hour.
    Fartblood All Terrain Cycles
    Making the Stain worth the Pain since 1969

Got a slightly older HTC (Desire) and the GPS is spot on, but does drain the battery quite alarmingly - but that model was notorious for poor battery life generally and I believe the newer HTCs are somewhat better in that department.

well I work for Nokia and Samsung so I have to recommend one of them lol. I use a GS2 for gps with sportstracker very accurate but obviously battery life an issue but 4-5 hours is doable, for longer haunts I take the old Nokia N8 out great for GPS but ageing now, I cant really recommend any current Nokia's as they are being a bit slow with flooding the market like other brands hence why you have no Nokia's on your list lol, but saying that the lumia is a great phone. Steer away from any sony-ericsson, HTC are good players too as long as you go android with it.

And I wont even mention iphone as working for Nokia/Samsung we dont really have much time for them lol, do make good money repairing broken screens though

Oh and check this great for endomondo with a GS2, yes its a sony device but this is the sort of thing they are good at unlike phones
    http://theweek.com/article/index/226...for-your-wrist

Also GS3 is rumoured to be released at some point this year
    Everytime you dont go out and ride GOD kills a kitten

............. O.............. /^^\
    ............. /\,........... /^ ^^\
    .............-\ -........ /^^^^ /^^\ ^\
    ............. /(*) /^^^ /^^ ^ ^^
    ......... (*) /^^^^ /^^^ ^^^^^
    ..........^^^^

Thanks guys, glad to see that all the bad reports for GPS on phones are a thing of the past.

I currently have the iphone 3GS and it does the GPS job well but the great hardware is crippled by the apple software too much for my liking, so want to switch to Android but not at the expense of decent GPS tracking.

As for battery time, I have a Veho Pebble (http://amzn.to/uy1vvP) for on the move re-charging and it's great.

I use my Blackberry Torch 9800. Not a bad phone for gps, edmondo, mapmymile etc, but the bloody touch screen goes wanky after 3 months, battery life is either really bad or bloody good depending on the phones mood
    Personally i wouldn't recommend one, nor an Iphone. I hear good things about HTC and Samsungs though.
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ