Thread: Avid Elixir R SL brake problem

Avid Elixir R SL brake problem

Hi guys,

HELP!!
    I recently had a basic service done at the LBS and since then I have lost all pressure in the rear brake. I am able to pump the lever to get some braking pressure, but the moment I release the break the pressure dissapears and I have almost no rear brake.

I took the bike back to LBS for a brake bleed, nothing changed, then back again, still no change.

The LBS say there is nothing else they can suggest or do other than to send the brake back to Avid and ask them to fix it under warranty.

I cant help but feel they are a little unwilling to try and diagnose this further, especially after I have paid for a service and 2 brake bleeds.

Does it sound like there simply isnt enough fluid in the system, or a fault somewhere in the system?

I have taken the pads out and had a general play around.

Is it right that almost all of the brake compression comes from just one side of the caliper?? One side moves out loads, and the other stays almost flush to the housing?
    Last edited by Predazord; 06-Apr-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Referr you to your last post:- http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/showthre...after-2-bleeds

No, the compression should be about the same only mechanical disks do this, pushing it out too far will put the seal past the point of no return and will introduce air into the system a bleed will have to follow, sounds like one is slightly sticky, this is can be normal, if the caliper is not centered properly this may be the cause of your problem in the first place, down to the LBS.

Sorry but you should not be having this trouble on a bike so new, get them to fit an old spare set while they send your original/faulty one back, it is their problem not yours, start stating the sale of goods act, mechantable quality not fit for purpose etc........

Take it from there.

I agree it is the bike shops issue, the only enormous problem that I have is that the bike shop recently closed, rebranded and opened back up 5 doors down ( I think there was a partner disagreement.)

I think its time I faced them again over this issue. Its just so frustrating.

Try holding back the piston that moves and pumping the brake lever lightly to get the other piston moving. You may get some feel in the brake if you can get both working and centre the caliper.There still won't be enough fluid in the system to support riding on rough ground t but if you can get some feel, a good bleed will be possible.The shop mechanic should have tried this already.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

Ok, so latest update:
    Been back to local bike shop, they werent that keen to bleed the brakes again, but they said they would do it once more, for the usual fee and try to get it working well enough for me to do a big(ish) ride tomorrow.
    They have concluded that the brake lever is faulty and needs sending back to Avid. They also changed the brake pads as they were on the low side, and only charged me for the pads, not the bleed.
    We have agreed that that I will strip the brake off the bike on monday, drop it into them and they will send it to Avid for fix or replacement.
    I guess they are helping better late than never....right......

They are begrudgingly helping but you are still out of pocket for two brake bleeds that did not resolve the problem and if you have been having problems with your brake how could you wear the brakes pads out?? Could the brake pad wear be attributed to the fault with the brakes hence you have now paid for brakes pads that were worn due to the original fault on the brake??
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Xen, thinking like a lawyer there, pity it took all this to even attempt to get it sorted though

To be honest I know how he feels, I had a similar type of problem when I first got my bike, I was getting no where with the lbs I bought the bike from so went to another lbs to get it sorted, but that meant I had to pay for the repair and parts. I contacted the bike manufacturer to see if they would let the 2nd lbs do the warranty work but they were addament that it had to goto a main dealer, other than original dealer next cloest was 45 miles away.

All I wanted was to get the problem resolved so I could go out and enjoy the ride without a problem, eventually you have to confront the original lbs and get it resolved, I ended up with a new frame but out of pocket for the repairs I had had done previously
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Well whatever the bike shop did as a patch fix, was excellent!! Towards the end of the 3hr ride yesterday it started to get a little spongy again, but still almost tempting me to just grin and bear it for a while...but i think I need to keep the bike shop motivated whilst they are seemingly keener to help and get the brake sent off.

I know that persevering with the lbs is more necesity than ideal, but I am keen to 'keep it local' if I can.

I have stripped the brake off and will be dropping it into the shop today, i wonder if they will actually remember this is what they said to do....