Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hells Bell's

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMTB View Post
    just get one of these

http://bikebutterfly.com/
    I like the fact that it's designed to make you easy to see, and then they make a camouflage version. Would suck with a headwind, but a tailwind could be fun!

Regarding the original topic of discussion, I presume this is on an MTB specific path, otherwise it would be you who was in the wrong. Even so, you've only really got yourself to blame if it was an exit (hence the reason that many trail centres have obstacles in place to prevent you from flying out onto a shared used path), and a blind one at that. I'll only ever attack a section of trail flat out if I can see far enough to come to a complete stop, even if it's at a trail centre. You never know who or what could be around a blind corner - could be some idiot walking their dog up an MTB trail, but could just as easily be a downed rider or someone with a mechanical. If you want to ride as fast as possible at all times with no regard for other potential trail users then get yourself on an uplift day for a downhill course, otherwise it's only common sense to exercise a little caution if you can't see what's coming up.

I want one of these, should clear the path nicely

Might need to get a bigger bike and a bit more fitness though
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMTB View Post
    just get one of these

http://bikebutterfly.com/
    Well they have all sold out...
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

Quote Originally Posted by QTip View Post
    I like the fact that it's designed to make you easy to see, and then they make a camouflage version. Would suck with a headwind, but a tailwind could be fun!

Regarding the original topic of discussion, I presume this is on an MTB specific path, otherwise it would be you who was in the wrong. Even so, you've only really got yourself to blame if it was an exit (hence the reason that many trail centres have obstacles in place to prevent you from flying out onto a shared used path), and a blind one at that. I'll only ever attack a section of trail flat out if I can see far enough to come to a complete stop, even if it's at a trail centre. You never know who or what could be around a blind corner - could be some idiot walking their dog up an MTB trail, but could just as easily be a downed rider or someone with a mechanical. If you want to ride as fast as possible at all times with no regard for other potential trail users then get yourself on an uplift day for a downhill course, otherwise it's only common sense to exercise a little caution if you can't see what's coming up.
    The section I'm talking about is so seldom used as to come as a complete surprise to anyone to see another person on it, I can only assume the recent sunshine brought them out, it is a fair way from the road and at that point appx 8K or so from any habitat. The exit as I call it is in fact my term for the end of my blast down this particular trail from there on in (and some times beforehand, as I'm usually knackered) I use the remaining k home to wind down often I stop to eat, drink and chill out.

I use and have used this trail for many, many years, I rarely see anyone on it, often months go by before I see another MTB'r and I can't recall the last time I saw a walker along there.

The previous sections are walked frequently and are seldom and issue, dog walkers are a recent addition, again I suspect the weather for the unusual number of them, the regulars know me and I know them, we give each other room these newcomers do not!

As for your advice re: uplift days....I'll be sixty three in a few weeks time, I've been MTBing for well in excess of thirty+ years and I gave up DH some years ago! It takes too long to heal these days!

As for the rest of your comments good for you, ride the way you choose, when in the company of others and on busy trail centre's I adapt my riding to the conditions and standards required, on my own and on the natural trails I know well on the sections where the sight of another human is so rare that I can't remember the last time I saw one, I'll ride my way!
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

Dedicated trail centres I ride like a tit if theres someone in the way and I dont see them well they shouldnt be there then should they, I see trail centres as a track day you wouldnt stray onto donnington race track now would you!!! If there is someone in the way then im aiming for the softest part to protect myself, obviously if its kids its the parents fault so i'll aim for them instead Even if I crash or have a puncture etc I move off that path immedietly so no one crashes into me and move out the way of exits quickly as you never know if someone was on your wheel

Riding shared paths sorry I opt for the non casualty speed, fast where I can see and slow where I cant, im trying to keep cycling reputation clean and still think roads are for cars despite me commuting to work 80 miles a week (except the left hookers bstards!)
    Everytime you dont go out and ride GOD kills a kitten

............. O.............. /^^\
    ............. /\,........... /^ ^^\
    .............-\ -........ /^^^^ /^^\ ^\
    ............. /(*) /^^^ /^^ ^ ^^
    ......... (*) /^^^^ /^^^ ^^^^^
    ..........^^^^

I'll repeat:

The section I'm talking about is so seldom used as to come as a complete surprise to anyone to see another person on it, I can only assume the recent sunshine brought them out, it is a fair way from the road and at that point appx 8K or so from any habitat. The exit as I call it is in fact my term for the end of my blast down this particular trail from there on in (and some times beforehand, as I'm usually knackered) I use the remaining k home to wind down often I stop to eat, drink and chill out.

In other words,...apart from me and another MTB'r who I haven't seen on the trail since before November iirc, no one use that section of trail!! No walkers and no dog walkers! In years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years......they are all to be found on the previous sections of trail, as previously mentioned! All the walkers and all the dog walkers detour off to a road where they park in order to come and walk those parts of the trail with or without their dogs!

I take a gap in a hedge and continue on, eventually coming to the overgrown and solitary section where I play! The pushchair owners came from another road roughly 8k in the direction I was heading.
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

Well said Taz, on natural quiet trails I go like stink, on busiernstuff I adapt y riding!
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

It makes common sense get the f off the trails when you are having problems, use you ears, if you hear something approaching at any speed get even further out of the way though self preservation is not in others nature these are the type who will try to sue you, can they do it if they are dead!

I once met a family having a picnic on the trail. They'd placed their blanket over all the tyre tracks, right on the bend where there was a bit more room! Ten yards away, in clear sight was a nice big patch of grass. 200 yards away was a field with picnic tables and swings and stuff for the kids.

Fortunately for everyone, there was just enough room for me to get past without leaving tracks on their tablecloth. I chose to ignore the abuse, I just yelled that there were more coming!
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

Fine, ride the way you want, but don't bitch about someone being stood somewhere they've got every right to be. I'll stick to slowing down on the few areas of public trail where you can't see far enough ahead to tell if you're going to run into someone. We struggle enough for access to land without scaring the crap out of other trail users. I'd expect that kind of selfish attitude from teenagers but not from someone with any sense.