Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hells Bell's

*Yawn*
    If they shouldn't be there, then tough. If it's a shared route then obviously slow down.
    No need to get on your high horse and start yet another row
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

If it's a bridleway then they should expect other users to be coming both ways. I should imagine if it was a horse belting down a trail t full chat nearly killing their precious offspring then they wouldn't be as bothered. However, seeing as we all get tarred with the b
    "bloody hooligan" brush it's somehow different. Standing in the middle of any thoroughfare is something I find really really really fucking annoying. Imagine you are walking down the street in town on a busy day and for no explicable reason the person in front of you stops dead in their tracks, annoying isn't it. This is the same thing only there's trees and said people have taken their brains out of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by QTip View Post
    Fine, ride the way you want, but don't bitch about someone being stood somewhere they've got every right to be. I'll stick to slowing down on the few areas of public trail where you can't see far enough ahead to tell if you're going to run into someone. We struggle enough for access to land without scaring the crap out of other trail users. I'd expect that kind of selfish attitude from teenagers but not from someone with any sense.
    Are you deliberately missing the point, it's not about their right(s) to be where they wish and like many on this forum I'll bitch if I want to!

My bitch is about the idiocy, nay the sheer lunacy of standing in the middle of an open track, something that is all too common everywhere you go, doorways, footpaths even the middle of cyclepaths (on which I travel at far lesser speeds) and allegedly managed trail centres fixing punctures, walking dogs or just plain walking with family it is undeniably witless.

I'll point out yet again, on that particular section of track I have never to the best of my recollection ever seen a walker/dog walker, unless you actually explore you wouldn't know it was there, that's how I found it!

The only other person I have seen on that section of track is another MTB'r whom I have not seen since before November, he's quite elderly and by the lack of tracks other than mine I don't think he's been for a long time. That section of track is simply not used except by me, that does not imply I have right of way or own the track, simply that I can reasonably expect it to be clear of obstruction.

The track is not easily accessed from the other end from the road, a distance of appx 8k from where I found them, a casual look wouldn't reveal it, hence my utter shock, that and the place they elected to stand. Their right to be there is not in question, I donot question their right. Just the idiocy of standing there. Seeing those kids there frightened the life out of me!

Their rights are not in question, just the dumbass place they chose to stand.

Empty track or no I wouldn't have chosen to stand there, on any kind of track, pavement etc I choose to stand to one side so as not to hinder others thus allowing free passage, when I walk my hound in the countryside (often on some of the trails I ride on) I walk to one side in order to allow free passage to others, I also keep in mind that many might find BFB a tad intimidating so I ensure he stays on his lead out of the way and I clear up his mess. I don't ever recall my wife blocking the way with her pushchairs when we had small critters. Selfish? No I don't think so, but thanks for your opinion anyway, your'e entitled to it, it's your right or so I've heard.

Now ---- off and be tedious somewhere else.
    Last edited by xendistar; 28-Mar-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Edited by Moderator
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

when I was in the UK recently with a group of students aged 12 - 24, I found myself having to remind them not to stand on the left on escalators or spread out all over the pavement as we were blocking it for others....

perhaps I am being behind the times in showing consideration for others

Fortunately, they listened, and I do believe they learned a little more than English while on their visit!
    Ride hard but avoid the hikers

So, am I "misreading" you or was the situation this: You came round a "blind" bit of public non-MTB-dedicated trail, saw two women with little kids in pushchairs blocking your way, you were going too fast to stop in the time between seeing them and reaching them, and it's their fault for being there?

Hmm, not sure I'm with you on your conclusions there fella...

Right, at a proper computer now so here is my point of view in full.

As far as I can see Taz was on a secluded piece of trail, far from any type of civilisation, making it a difficult area to get to, and having ridden there regularly, seen no-one other than the elderly biker, who has since not ridden there. It is fair to make the assumption then, that the trail will be empty 99 times out of 100, and therefore, in my opinion, justifiable to ride at full tilt. My local trails are usually deserted, I ride those flat out, and the ones that aren't, I adjust my speed accordingly. I think that standing in the middle of any kind of trail or pathway that receives frequent transport, be it cyclist, horse rider, vehicular or walker is completely assinine. If you were in town would you walk down the middle of the road? With regard to other blockages of the trail, for example down riders or repair, or in fact picnics, I think that it is their own stupid fault, why stop in the middle of something that is CLEARLY used frequently by fast moving things, in this case bikers, if you fell over in a road would you continue lying there? I completely agree with Taz, and think his actions were justified, I once had to dodge an entire party of DofE teenagers, due to them walking up my local trail, and even though they saw me well in advance (one commented "nice jump" to me) they didn't get out the way, causing another near miss situation.

To summarise, I think Taz was in the right, and that I would have done the same in that situation, in fact I have.
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Fine, ride the way you want, but don't bitch about someone being stood somewhere they've got every right to be. I'll stick to slowing down on the few areas of public trail where you can't see far enough ahead to tell if you're going to run into someone. We struggle enough for access to land without scaring the crap out of other trail users. I'd expect that kind of selfish attitude from teenagers but not from someone with any sense.

Take it she's got PMT again.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just noticed. Why is it every time Qtip starts stirring shit Edlong appears to back him up then dissapears until the next time Qtip starts shit when he reappears to back him up again, are they the same person or just bum chums?. Either way they're a pair of bloody troll losers.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must admit I noticed that two, could be bad timing or the are joined at the cock!!

That last part was, to quote Reevil:

"a joke and not intended to cause offense"
    "Those who think they know it all but don't really annoy those of us who do"

Rides:
    Cross country hack bike
    DMR Reptoid SS Jump build
    Pivot Mach6C
    Road bike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9777017/p4pb9777017.jpg

My twitter @lordsamofslam

Evening everybody

I was directed to this thread by a forum member who felt I should take a look at it. My conclusion on this thread is this.

This thread will remain open for all to contribute providing that it does not descent into a bun fight. We live in a free society where if we don't like something we can say so, if you feel that you need to object to something that has been written, then do so politely and then agree to disagree.

Having issued this warning any forum member found swearing (that includes asterisk out letter) in a post or baiting another forum member will result in the perpetrator receiving a temporary ban from the forum.

We are all grown ups, please don't make me treat forum members like naughty kids
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it