Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a Ragley

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMatt View Post
    Someone on here recently was looking for the same sort of things and brought up the Saracen Zen X which I thought looked quite good but with it only being a recent addition to the lineup there aren't many reviews about. Best thing you can do though before committing any money to any bike it to get out and ride them beforehand.
    A review you say

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...zen-x-12-46047
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it

Yeah saw this review, quite frankly the review blew me away! It's really that good? No offence to anyone, but I always thought that Saracen's were just not as good as other bikes!! But I am serious going to find somewhere to try this out!!

Thanks

I have heard proper rave reviews of the saracen zen. Got to be worth a look. I'm not sure what price Cotic BFe builds start at, but the frame is awesome, I am soo in love with mine!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.

--H.G. Wells

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...yG40/photo.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...40/photo-6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
    Yeah saw this review, quite frankly the review blew me away! It's really that good? No offence to anyone, but I always thought that Saracen's were just not as good as other bikes!! But I am serious going to find somewhere to try this out!!

Thanks
    I think many years ago Saracen used to be a respected manufacturer and for one reason or another they were bought out and there range was changed to cheap bike from the far east with there name on it. A few years ago they were bought out again and are making there way back up the ladder to being a respected bike manufacturer again.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it

Hi there northern matt is right there was someone looking for the same sort of bikes a while ago and it was me. Still not got my bike yet but ive got it down to saracen zen x and on-one 456evo (not out till mid may) they are doing and X5 spec with 140mm RS sektors for around 700 or an X9 with 140mm or 140mm RS revelations for 1000 so im waiting till they come out to make my mind up hope this help abit

Ok. Update! These are the three I'm looking at:

Commencal Ramones AL1
    Ragley Piglet x7
    Saracen Zen X - I'm having a ride of this tomorrow!!

Let me know what the zen x is like if you dont mind mate

Sure, no worries Bleasy.

Ok, so I tested the Saracen Zen X today. What did I think? Well it's a good looking bike, if a little shinny. Seriously overbuilt with thick wielding around the headset and extra brace on the seat post. But having said that it felt surprisingly light. Although none of the kik says so I would say its pretty much all deore (except for slx rear mech) in all but name, including the hollow tech bottom bracket & crackset. The top tube has a great angle about it and the slight riser bars are seriously wide.

I have to say it felt great to ride, I only got to try it down a few back streets, up & over a few curbs but it felt lively & responsive and very controllable under yourself. I felt securely planted over the bars rather than over the back wheel. I bet it's a blast on the trail. The sektor R forks felt & looked good but it's a shame there's no lockout as I think the extra bounce the long travel it gives Syou may annoy over long distance xc.
    I short I actually really liked it and it felt alot like my old Marin B17. Of course a a friend of mine with whom I do alot of riding with just cannot get over the fact it's a Saracen and he just sees Saracen's as the hideous Halfords crap they were for a while.

Thing is can I get over that opinion that others may look down their nose at me with? Yeah probably, fuck'em, I don't know much about bikes other than what makes me smile when I'm riding it. And I feel that when I'm on the trail I'll probably have a big shit eating grin smeared across my ugly mug.
    Last edited by Freerider; 28-Mar-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Oh btw, the frame has a lifetime warranty