Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact or fiction...

Fact or fiction...

...after a 10 sp SRAM Powerlink has been removed once it should be replaced with a new one. Can't be true. Surely.
    Trek Remedy 7 2011

Never had any issues re-using a 9sp powerlink many times for the purposes of taking the chain off for cleaning. But when I fit a new chain I always fit a new Powerlink. Use it as many times as you need except when fitting a new chain.

I don't know why it would be any different for the 10sp. Waits for storm of advice/disagreement..........
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

Ok, having said that I remembered something about 10sp powerlinks. so I checked the CRC site and found this.....http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=871

Reading the description it seems that it is different for the 10sp Powerlink, it's supposedly not to be used more than once....Um.....Oops!

These days I use KMC ones, so maybe one of those would do the trick.............anyone?
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

This topic has come up before. Sram say don't reuse a 10-speed powerlink, so don't do it! But I believe that the KMC 10 speed powerlink can be re-used. I don't have 10 speed myself, so all my "knowledge" on this topic is from reading posts on this forum. So do your own checking!
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula

Are the 10spd the same as the singlespeed in that they're powerlock as opposed to powerlink? Can you describe how it looks?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.

--H.G. Wells

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...yG40/photo.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...40/photo-6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by B1Gdave View Post
    Are the 10spd the same as the singlespeed in that they're powerlock as opposed to powerlink? Can you describe how it looks?
    Not sure I know the difference between Powerlock and Powerlink mate. It seems to be very similar to the removable link I had on my 9 sp i.e. a small removable jobby that's a sod to get off. Took it off this afternoon for a clean up just wondered if it can go back on? Thanks.
    Trek Remedy 7 2011

I have 10 speed and I now seem to remember that its only the KMC ones that can be re-used. Not much point in buying the SRAM ones in my opinion! I'm still using the simano pins as they take seconds to fit and are the perfect kit for my shimano chain.
    Giant Trance X3, 'modified'.
    Cotic Bfe in 'Black Grape'

I'm only using the KMC ones because of recently changing to KMC chains.

Either in work or out on the bike, so anywhere in the UK!!
    SRAM links are PowerLock in 10 speed, useable once only. KMC do two types, one reuseable, one not.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/showthre...0-speed-chains

Discussed on this thread a while back.
    Rides: Boardman Hybrid Comp, TBC and err, that's it!

Cheers chaps. Can the KMC links be used with SRAM chains then - seem a better buy if they're multi-use.
    Trek Remedy 7 2011