Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MBR big question May most overpriced piece of kit?

Quote Originally Posted by reevil View Post
    The magazines
    Are they really worth the money?

Having seen that Singletrack has now gone up to nearly 6 an issue, I'd have to say no!

MTB Clothing - Whilst i appreciate the quality of some of the big names, I can't help but look around at alternatives. To spend 30-40 on a t-shirt or to buy two for the same price. Similar material, do the job well and if they wear out twice as fast I'll buy two more. Obviously I wouldn't apply this ethos to something like helmets and protective gear (knee pads etc) but given time and a good google you'll find cheaper products.

Researched lights last October and was amazed at how expensive some items were. Then the reviews people have given the chinese ones. Saving some serious cash again!

LBS - im sorry I know small businesses need to make a profit I am one, but please dont moan when we price compare with getting that identical 70 piece of kit for 50 'online' with next day delivery sometimes even from the same supplier as said LBS!!

Luckily my LBS match 'most' prices but if its slightly more then I will prefer the LBS otherwise all that advice will disappear, LBS's are great and we should use them more but they have to remember its OUR money being spent
    Everytime you dont go out and ride GOD kills a kitten

............. O.............. /^^\
    ............. /\,........... /^ ^^\
    .............-\ -........ /^^^^ /^^\ ^\
    ............. /(*) /^^^ /^^ ^ ^^
    ......... (*) /^^^^ /^^^ ^^^^^
    ..........^^^^

Energy gel's and food bars are way too expensive. I substitute them for bacon butties, mars bars and cider
    The chance of crashing is directly proportional to the number of people waiting to catch it on headcam.

2012 Merlin Maven for work and 2009 Cannondale Prophet for shits and giggles

Rear mech hangers. All they are usually is a small flat bit of aluminium and you can easily find yourself paying 20, if you can find one for your frame at all that is. They don't even have to make them strong as they are expected to be the weak link!

Quote Originally Posted by neilo View Post
    Energy gel's and food bars are way too expensive. I substitute them for bacon butties, mars bars and cider
    Man I'd much rather be eating the bacon butties etc, all those gels must play havoc with your digestion!
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by fredmundo View Post
    Man I'd much rather be eating the bacon butties etc, all those gels must play havoc with your digestion!
    Me too, gels are for emergency or long rides gimme a butty and a cuppa anytime
    Everytime you dont go out and ride GOD kills a kitten

............. O.............. /^^\
    ............. /\,........... /^ ^^\
    .............-\ -........ /^^^^ /^^\ ^\
    ............. /(*) /^^^ /^^ ^ ^^
    ......... (*) /^^^^ /^^^ ^^^^^
    ..........^^^^

Kit that doesn't match the picture or spec in the online shop when it's delivered and is basically useless. Then the knowledge and experience of LBS staff becomes priceless by comparison.
    Old Skool, since "back in the day".http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk

Adjustable seat posts .......
    Answer is of corse the good old quick release skewer
    Flat out its the only way....!💀

To an outsider anything we buy is overpriced. I got grief at work for spending 15 on a Hope QR. We can't all afford the best of everything so we should shut up and make do with what we've got. Life sucks but as long as you're on your bike it's all gravy.