Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Specific Disk Brake Requirements

Yep, pretty much how he did it!! Stopped on the lip, looking like he'd bottled it, then just went down!! Put the willy-waving DH boys in their place pefectly.

What tyres do you use? They must be large volume, low pressure and presumably strong sidewalls?
    Failing is not a failure as long as you have fun doing it

Quote Originally Posted by DaMilkyBarKid View Post
    Yep, pretty much how he did it!! Stopped on the lip, looking like he'd bottled it, then just went down!! Put the willy-waving DH boys in their place pefectly.
    Haha I do like chasing the DH folk up the hills - and normally thrashing them no problems - less weight and used to being in the same lowish gear all the time I can get up hills pretty quick

What tyres do you use? They must be large volume, low pressure and presumably strong sidewalls?
    Lots of people on 24s and 26s use the Duro Wildlife Leopard 24x3 for muni, I ride an Ardent 29x2.4/2.5 (can't remember) on my 29er. The duro tyres have reinforced sidewalls so you can happily stick the pressure down to 10psi or so for lighter offroad.
    People have tried most bike tyres though and some work better than others.

The pressure's very much a personal choice and divides people (especially in trials) but as a general rule, people often use a very low pressure when they're learning offroad riding as it rolls over things and doesn't bounce off so much and increase it as they get better. The higher the pressure (to a point) the more bounce you can get off it when you want it and the more nimble it will feel. Thinner tyres again divide people, I used to love my duro 3" tyre and it's great for grip on technical slippy downhill but I do love the speed and maneuverability of a thinner tyre.

I suppose it's like on bikes, for technical downhill you want a big grippy 24/26 tyre on the back but for XC you might go for a thinner tyre on a 29er.